Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard an interesting comment made on the radio the other day. It has sparked quite a discussion within my family so I thought I would bring it here to see what everyone else thinks as well.

The topic was the U.S. Miliary Reserves. A young woman around the age of 20 or 21 called into the radio to express her concern for the possible and inevitable calling up of her Reserve Group. Her comment, "I joined the Reserves for the free ride to college, I never expected to have to give my life for it." (or something alone those lines - direct quote unavailable)

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

i have discussed this very thing with people i know.

the end result: me laughing histerically.

why?

because people are freakin selfish.

people like that make the freakin hijackers look like gods.

jeeeeeeezus!

maybe i'm up too damned early for any type of legitimate response.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You see, DA, joining the Reserves is a free ticket to college, where in other countries (such as mine) being a world champion in any sport gives you the ticket to join the army for life (as an officer). The Army is a means for one to make a living on. Modern armies in the western world are mostly mercenary. And mercenaries are not willing to lose their lives. I deliberately say "lose" instead of "sacrifice", since the latter does not apply to the western civilization, where no country's territorial integrity or political independence is threatened.

------------------
    Never onlyne

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

*wanders in*

*thinks this is a very important topic to discuss*

*ponders why the younger forum members refrained from posting here*

*grumbles something about 'youngin's'*

*grabs cane*

*stumbles out of thread*

------------------
    General Philosophy

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll do it. If the army wants me, calls upon me, and if I was involved... Just give me a gun. I'll just go, shoot people, get shot, have fun, and die. Throw some grenades too! can't forget about that.
    *shrugs*
    in all reality, I guess I see it as this...
    If it's something I believe is worth fighting over *which isn't much* Then sure, no questions asked, I'd lay my life down. If it's another humans life, sure I'll lay my life down for them. No questions asked. Bottom line, I think we're breeding too many cowards in the US myself.

------------------
    To hate is to show you still care, who needs that? Focus on what's really important.
    The best revenge, is to survive yourself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'll honestly say that the military is probably nothing for me, i'm kind of a pacifist.
    next to that i'd ask too many questions from the officers.
    Maybe i'd become an officer biggrin

I can just see myself playing drill sergeant smile

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

i do not understand why anyone would agree to fight in this (WTC/terrorist) situation. it is senseless.
    no, it is more than that.
    it is redundant.

perhaps its just me.

how can you fight for what you believe in when all this time, you have been lead to believe that it is only right if your country tell you it is?
    its the shape (hypocrisy?) of things.

if you wanna fight for liberty, justice and freedom...even security, it better start on your homeland, otherwise, you're fighting on empty calories.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Hmmmmmmm... I'm very much a pacifist. (As I'm sure you could tell from that other topic in which killing people was involved...) I don't think I could ever fight in a war, no matter what the cause. Call me a coward if you will... My problem is that I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that every person is an individual, including the enemy.

It can be easy to look at a group of people or a country and the "wrong" that they have done, and condem them all for it. But it's harder (for me, impossible) to look at an individual life and condem that person...

The delima that an attitude such as mine leads to, though, is "How do we solve a problem like terrorism with out resorting to violence?" I'm still pondering that one. (Well, actually, I'm mostly ignoring it and going on living in blissful ambivalence...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, on a much safer level, Hostboard is helped when we click on ad banners.

None of us expect any negative rammifications if we click on something we have no interest in....How is that any different?

We help Hostboard Survive just by clicking on something we have no intention of being involved in?

...The difference is we probably won't be attacked or punished HERE if we do click on an ad banner for something we have no need or interest in..but does that suddenly make it OK?

(keep in mind, my solution is for moderators to pay a small fee every month to keep Hostboard going rather than clicking on Ad Banners we don't care about, but it is only my idea/opinion)

------------------

-Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey! i do my time clicking on banner ads. believe me, i'd much rather be doing something else. biggrin

------------------
    General Philosophy