Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You are correct!!!

What I am more conserned with is the ideas behind the parties.
    Not the either cares about much outside of personal gain.

rephrasing the question:
    Are people capable of a direct democratic society?
    I REALLY HATE to use this example but I can't think of any better ones at the moment.

Example: Star Trek
    The ablity of people to rule themselves and for every person to have all options open to them as a birth right.

P.S. If you think Star Trek is a bad example in this post, you should hear me compair Star Trek to our current world political system.

------------------
    88 and Shaz: The Original Brothers of Smak.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

i do not see how everyone rules themselves on that program. perhaps you can tell me more.
    i do not watch tv so i am at a loss as to particulars. i have seen the show many times in the past (for some unapparent reason), and not once did i see that people ruled themselves.
    help.

------------------
    ~~share some greased tea with me~~

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I told you it was a bad example!!!

It is a society where any person and truely do anything they choose.
    The ideas of equality, freedom and choice are all realities, not just hopes and dreams.

If you are intersted in the ideas of evolving socities, I would encorage you to get in to Sci Fi and watch the shows while thinking about the real underlieing issues.

Many would consider Star Trek the demoratic ideal. But the problem is in the belief that such a place could exsist, given human nature.
    Other much more true to current time sci fi shows would include Babaylon 5, where the same issues of hate, greed, political gain and war are as much a part of our future as our present.

Rephrasing my question, YET AGAIN: Do you belive that humans have the ability to move past such ideas as hate, greed and the like, and move toward a better world. OR, will it just be a more advanced version of what we have now.

I have to admit that I am somewhere in the middle. Once you answer if we are capable, the next question is how do we reach those goals or why will we fail.

This may be it for a while, but I promiss to be back to answer any more questions and hear others ideas.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>: Do you belive that humans have the ability to move past such ideas as hate, greed and the like, and move toward a better world.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    no.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>will it just be a more advanced version of what we have now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    not that, either.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>how do we reach those goals<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    only in dreams.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>why will we fail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    because we are human.

------------------

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Then what?

If we won't get better and we don't stay the same, what?

Where is human kind in 100 years?
    What is better, worse and the same, as far as our value systems are conserned?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What is better, worse and the same, as far as our value systems are conserned?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    or better yet...

what exactly is 'better, worse and the same'?

------------------

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know, it is somewhat political but only in the use of the names of parties.

What I am asking is how the philosophy of each party is shaped by thier views toward the people of this country.

I would argue that the democratic party has the view of traditional government.
    In that they are elected to take care of the citizens. In much the same way Kings took care of their surfs by providing land and a structure under which importand decisions were made for the averege person.

The Republican party is in fact the new philosophical idea. The idea that each citizen is capable of taking care of themself and making their own decisions.
    Republicanism grew out of the idea of a true democratic government. As well as the begining ideas of communism.

And I would further say that the true struggle is between these two ideas. The first being that people are not capable of forming a true direct democracy in which communist ideas of both supporting ones self as well as supporting others must be balenced to achive a system where there is not need for a ruling body.

The second being that all that is possible.

Honestly, I have to admit that not enough people could handle a community where they would have to think for themselves. We are all to use to simply living as we are told. Along with the idea that greed will curupt any system and that a system of direct democracy would lead to a part of the people being unable to live in a society where they are free to do as they wish.

But my hope is that someday we will evolve to that state of being. It seems impossible but only a few hundred years ago the ideas of this country seemed just as crazy.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

perhaps i am wrong...
    i do not see the two 'parties' thinking differently about the commonplace individual, yet only in theory.

------------------

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is up to you.
    Your the person who's opionion I am considering therefor your values and judgements are the ones that should be used.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Republicans don't care how far you line-up behind the starting line when the gun goes off.

The Democrats do.

------------------
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast