Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How do you feel that black holes correspond to time and the universe?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is this, Pete? An invitation to share our ignorance of astronomy, yet this being compensated for with imagination and quasi-scientific BS?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

well i'm game!!!!!!!!!!!

how do i feel about all that jazz???

i don't.

as for black holes being....er...linked(?) to time, i do not agree (in the respect that time is an entity). now, if you were to think of time as being simply a measuring device...ok, i'll take that.

as for the universe, thats also simple. black holes are linked to the universe. they inhabit it.
    i've read many a hawking theory time and again and its pretty interesting stuff.
    but i don't put too much faith in too much faith. ya know?

as for trusting someone named 'pragmatic pete'...well, thats another kettle of fish. wink

how do you feel about it, pete?

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol
    black holes are a singularity so they are anomalities in our universe
    and as that naughty philosopher said
    (or something like it)
    wovonn mann nichts weist, davon muss man nicht reden
    something like: if you don't know about it, don't talk about it wink

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is Wovon man nicht reden kann, darueber muss man schweigen. I am so glad you know Pangaia, Zela!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>something like: if you don't know about it, don't talk about it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily Zela. It is always good to talk and question things one doesn't understand. I watch Discovery.

I'm no Hawking, and although I have read his work, it basically flies above my head.

What I do know is, that recent research and discoveries suggest that every Galaxy has a Black Hole at its center, including ours, but has not been detected in the past because all do not churn as rapidly as the ones that can be detected easily, and can be seen gobbling up the surrounding stars or whatever that comes within close proximities.

An example that was given to explain this was an eddy. One must have noticed that if a piece of straw is placed at a distance from an eddy, it will move very slowly in a circular motion in relation to the eddy, because the effect of the eddy is minimal on the straw because of the distance, but it does effect to a certain degree. The straw circulates faster and faster until the water gobbles it up. More the pieces of straw, more you can see the effect of an eddy. Similarly, more the stars that are being gobbled up, more can a Black hole can be detected due to many illuminated stars coming close and disappearing into the Black Hole.

If there is a bucket of water in your tub and you pull the plug, it will result in a small eddy. But if you do the same thing to a bigger volume of water, the force is increased significantly due to the pressure of sheer volume, the more water that comes closer, the more strength it gains, and pulls more gaining speed.

The black holes that cannot be detected do not lie dormant, but keep churning at a slow speed and cannot be seen because no visible stars are close enough to be pulled in, but are surely moving towards it. It is the Black Hole churning in the center of each galaxy that gives it a circular flat disc like form. I'm sure you have seen one.

Another thing that one can see is that more the matter comes closer, more the strength it gains to effect and pull the surrounding matter lying further away. This results in a frantically active Black Hole sucking up everything and ending up not easily detectible, because no visible stuff can be seen going in. but is still there because there still is some undetectable matter left around. (Also know as the Dark Matter). Basically, there is no empty space in space as such, although it seems empty to us because of our incapability of detecting it.

Now where does all the stuff that a black hole sucks up go? Well, I don't know, I have never been into one. smile

------------------
    ....just IMHO though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

without falling back into the wonderful information sapius provided, i ask you:

so what is a black hole?

*hint: try not to use the word 'force'.

------------------
    General Philosophy

TastinGood

Why don't we just send some dude out into space with a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and a cell phone? Then he can just jump into the black hole, look around for awhile, have lunch and then call and tell us what he sees.

I would love to know where all the stuff goes.

------------------
    "If Lincoln had thought being the President was such a longshot, we'd have nobody's picture on the one dollar bill" -Arthur Fonzerelli (The Fonz)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Shatoush: so what is a black hole?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I already told you, imagine the rest. ?and TG's suggestion is also not bad. J

Any way, since we do not have any scientist around here, and the fact that we puny little humans have yet to grow up, (I mean in a couple of thousand years), unless she sees a volumes of proof Shatoush will never be satisfied, which will be available in a thousand years. biggrin

In the mean time, lets just guess.

If there are black holes at the center of every galaxy, and there are billions of galaxies, consider it as one huge big lake with those billions of whirlpools.

But Universe is not made up of water like the lake. In the lake the water goes into the ground and that whirlpool disappear. But what the black hole is sucking up is Energy, and Energy never dies, so it stands to reason that it must be self-concentrating itself and accumulating within the black hole.

Now, consider that these millions of black holes have sucked in majority of Energy around themselves. (Stars, Planets, Satellites, Comets, Meteors, Dark Matter, etc, etc.)

But the space is still not empty and it still holds some Dark Matter. So what will most probably happen is that the black holes will gradually start attracting each other because now they have enough Energy to spin frantically within itself and generate gravity strong enough to pull other black holes. This happening to every black hole, the attraction is mutual and the speed at which they move towards each other will increase as they come closer.

What is happening is, once two black holes get together, it becomes a bigger whirlpool, and acts as a center. (Remember, earlier there were stars which a single black hole was attracting. now the black holes themselves become bits of whirling energy things that are attracted towards the first two black holes that got together, and now that becomes the center of a grand whirl pool.)

Now there are billions of black holes being sucked up at a single point, what is building up at this point is a.k.a. - 'Singularity'. Imagine the strength and pressure that is accumulating. The pressure at this point is now so concentrated that it cannot hold itself any longer, result - BIG BANG.

All Energy dispersed, micro Energy starts forming the first whirlpools of Life.

How do you like the idea? wink

------------------
    ....just IMHO though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On what a black hole is...
    A dying star will eventually end up into one of the following states:
    1) a pulsar
    2) a neutron star (white dwarf)
    3) a black hole
    All three types are remains of a star; pulsars are sources of radiowave emission. Neutron stars are high-density structures of neutrons, so they are in a ante-material form (that is, in a form before matter, thicker than energy, but lighter than plasma). Black holes are "holes", in the sense that they absorb anything that reaches their orbit. They are "black" because that "anything" incudes light. They are so thick in structure that they are not like any kind of known matter. Even the Time-arrow bends around them and cracks inside them. Some scientists (quantum scientists and science mathematicians) claim that Time doesn't vanish, but rather forms loops (an idea that inspires those who dream of time-travels). This is all I know.
    I would strongly recommend that you seek "black holes" in a search engine, instead of asking what one feels or believes about the issue (including me). That would be far more educational.

------------------
    Never onlyne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast