Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

If the reasons why we push the limits of technology are those listed above (and I tend to agree) it seems rather shallow... If the goal is to be better than those around us and make our mark, it simply shows how short-sighted and self-centered humanity is... There will always be (now or sometime in the very near future) someone better than us, and any mark made by one of our number will be erased quickly by time and/or the marks of others.

If I may offer another thoery on our motivations: to acheive immortality. People who want to "make their mark" think that their mark will live on forever, therefore to some extent granting themselves immortality... But they fail to consider the things mentioned above.

TastinGood: Unfortunately, it seems most people think like you- only interested in the short-term personal effects of new technology and not concerned with the big picture.

Zela: Sheesh. Apparently this topic lends itself to rambling, looooooooong responces...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm happy it does smile
    brings a new discussion to life biggrin

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"many years ago, the great british explorer george mallory, who was to die on mount everest was asked why he wanted to climb it.." "Because it is there" he said

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

TastinGood

After seeing Ginger on TV this morning (a Good Morning America Exclusive) I have now realized how useless this teleportation technology is. They should really do more demographic studies next time! People dont want teleportation...they want 12 mph scooters that cant tip over!

------------------
    I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was
    every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in
    which to get funky.
    - Homer J. Simpson

[This message has been edited by TastinGood (edited December 03, 2001).]

TastinGood

Several months ago when the 'Ginger' hype was at its peak I read somewhere that GM feared Ginger and that they had devoted a team of technichians to come up with their own version of IT.
    I highly doubt this though. I do not think that GM or any of the other American automakers would really be very concerned by it. It might certainly take a chunk out metropolis automobile commuting however. I suspect that in many major cities you could make much better time with IT.
    It wouldnt surprise me at all, however, to see Honda come out with something like IT if IT does indeed have consumer appeal. Has anyone seen video of the Honda robot? That thing walks like a real human being (actually a little like John Travolta walking to the dance floor). The drawback of IT at the beginning will definately be the pricetag.

I had hoped that it would be a hoverboard personally.

------------------
    I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was
    every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in
    which to get funky.
    - Homer J. Simpson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    People need neither teleportation neither scooters at 12mph... But when somebody comes up with a gadget like this, especially while wrapping IT in such a mystery (the whole thing reminded me the Blair-Witch-project hype), and having people such as Clive Sinclair and Steve Jobbs endorsing IT, it's no wonder that everyone treats IT as a miracle of modern urban transportation.

I wonder though... will the automobile industry welcome this innovation?
    ________
    P.S. Your remark was brilliant, Tastingood.

------------------
    UlTm8 BOARDOM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel as though I should say something but I do not know where to start.
    Technology is something that people always want more of. If people did not try to improve technology we would still be wearing animal skins and living in a cave.
    There are things that people are going to spend their lives trying to invent, that may never happen. For example, time travel. The current laws of physics forbid time travel because one would need to travel faster than the spped of light which would require infinite energy. But, people still try to do it.
    Why, because people want to travel through time.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

oh lord!
    time travel is such a ridiculous topic.
    i am almost embarrassed to post here.

i agree with kilzok. what more can i say.
    speaking of which...
    isn't it funny how i was just thinking about kilzok the past few days???

------------------
    ~~share some greased tea with me~~

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you really ead that article that is hyperlinked, they have accomplished successful work with a beam of energy, a beginning, but a looooong way from dis-assembly of an atom and re-assembly further away from the site of dis-assembly.

That is what true teleportation would actually be, and the quantum decay cascadence would have to be resolved first.

But this is important work, as it could just as easily have application in other fields, such a transmission of data, volumes of data, without error, over long distances, like if we can actually succeed in space travel we might need to know how to perform such functions.

But for now, teleportation remains in the same category as interdimensional transportation, wormhole travel vacations, and sun tanning on a distal planet yet undiscovered, cause sun tanning is bad for your skin!

------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12