Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doodoo:
    What bugs me is that nobody ever thought that science might be another so-called fantasy...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one could argue that, but one could also argue that the purpose of science is to break the illusions, dillusions beilefs of what zelazny listed as "fantasies". i think science is meant to be the means of creating the proof of anything; whether it be proving someone wrong or right. So it couldn't be considered the same thing.

maybe.

------------------
    utopianChaos

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bet descartes is turning in his grave.

------------------
    ~~share some greased tea with me~~

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not to mention plato.

But back to the topic, let's put it this way,
    seeing how many people are 'followers' (you know the type, raised with a certain belief because and therefor believing it, the types that don't think about things like religion, but just follow) and if i'm correct they should be taught the 'science' way. At least, that is what most educations try to achieve. So how come you find even more esoteric ideas such as some new age stuff (come on, you know how some of that is about as correct as a discovery documentary about aliens or the supernatural)
    I'm not sure how you call them, the 'enlightened' women who swear that the healing energy of their rooms that are aligned with the flow of earthenergy keeps them healthy so they "don't need any drugs" and inform all their friends to do the same as she.

We've had our fair share of them frown

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would say that western medicine happened to be mere fantasy, as long as it denied acupuncture the name of medical treatment. Acupuncture wasn't recognised as medical treatment until late 60s.
    Western medicine fought against the evil practice of exsanguination, because Galenus hadn't mentioned it in his list of medical treatments, and because it was exercised mostly by Muslims (as a cure for high fever).
    Medieval astronomers were too stubborn to accept a cosmological model other than the one suggested by Aristotle and elaborated by Ptolemy. The heliocentric model was first presented by a pythagorean named Philolaus, one of those guys we meet, centuries later, as alchemists in the Middle Ages.
    The best thing in science is its ability to evolve through adoption of different aspects and methods. What is now considered as scientific, there was a time that this thing was considered as magic.
    The way we treat these disciplines determines whether they become fantasies or not.

------------------
    UlTm8 BOARDOM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12