Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I realize that this may not be a philosophical discussion, but, i'm dying to know what everyones views are on women in society. I'm not a feminist by any means, it's just, growing up in a house that is full of "women in the kitchen" mentality, has forced down my throat more then i can chew.

your thoughts?

------------------
    utopianChaos

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

i fail to fully understand your question, UC.

------------------
    ~~share some greased tea with me~~

General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHATOUSHKA:
    i fail to fully understand your question, UC.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm asking what anyones views are in women's role in society. Are they equal, do they have a certain skill set that they should surpass ( ie in afganistan women couldn't show their face, they couldn't go to school and be educated, ran the home etc.) "women belongs in the kitchen".

It's more of a call of opinions, rather then a debate or answer.

------------------
    utopianChaos

[This message has been edited by utopianChaos (edited December 09, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So this is an opinion. SURE!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will post my opinion. I will regret it in the future, (what is regret anyways?) but i will post anyways. I am currently enrolled in a brain washing class at a local university, also known as World Literature I. In this class, we have discussed many issues, sexism being one of them. It is taught by a male professor, and yet we have discussed the fact that in fact, women are the superior species. Their dominance is not shown for the fact that men do not allow them to. The reason for this is that men fear that they will be diminished to nothing if women were to come to power. I will disagree to some extent. I feel that in some ways women are superior. For example, when it comes to pain endurance, women prevail. However, as far as leading a country for example, ie. Presidency, women think to much upon their emotional side. Men, on the other hand, think more from their logical side. This is my opinion, for those of you who disagree, that is your prerogative. for those of you who agree, i applaud your intelligence. smile

------------------
    "People who live in glass houses shouldn't walk around naked." spoken by a very wise man.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I want to make one more comment. The title of this thread in my opinion is incorrect. I feel that it should be Women Vs. Men, or Men Vs. Women (either will do). only for the fact that it is not one individual against another, rather it is the entire species of females against the entire species of males in this struggle for their true place in society.

------------------
    "People who live in glass houses shouldn't walk around naked." spoken by a very wise man.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just when i think humans have deteriorated all hope of being intelligent....

it gravely displeases me when individuals refer to 'man' or 'woman' as separate species. the difference in genitalia does not signify omnipotent entities.
    somehow i find it a step in over-glorifying arrogance.

i realize that gravy train did not do this intentionally--meaning, i understand the jist.

to irritate the subject even more (since that seems to be my forte), it seems a bit contradictory to reduce the almighty 'species' into a class of individuals as opposed to referring to them in a collective sense.

being that i KNOW most of you do not follow the contradiction, i'll interpret.

to make a claim that each gender deserves entitlement as divided species is one thing. but to pick from that species (be it male or female) and to claim every member separate within that species (by saying 'women' as opposed to 'woman') is ridiculous.

perhaps someone who can translate my post into more 'readable' terms will take the initiative.

i, for one, am aghast.

------------------
    ~~share some greased tea with me~~

General Philosophy
    Discuss This...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHATOUSHKA:

to make a claim that each gender deserves entitlement as divided species is one thing. but to pick from that species (be it male or female) and to claim every member separate within that species (by saying 'women' as opposed to 'woman') is ridiculous.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't understand this statement.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe the "difference" between man and woman lies in the pregnancy issue.

A woman's reality revolves around this issue...Once a woman realizes that most men don't really worry about getting a woman pregant, safeguarding issues arise that logically force woman to think differently than men.

If man could become pregnant, the majority of differences between man and woman would dry up.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so you're simply stating the obvious:
    if men had female genitalia they'd be women and vice versa, if women had male genitalia, they'd be male.

eeehm.. i think that much was obvious right from the start biggrin
    (otherwise i'd hate to be you on a hot date wink )

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast