Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200412/r37453_93627.jpg

Related video at site: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1266104.htm

Sharks roaming far and wide in search of food

A satellite tagging system being used on the great white shark shows they are travelling thousands of kilometres in search of food.

The CSIRO attached transmitters to four sharks off the South Australian coast in November.

It is tracking the movements of great whites in an effort to get a clearer picture of their habits and numbers.

The sharks' movements are tracked daily, and CSIRO researcher Barry Bruce says it is amazing to see just how far they roam.

"They've travelled already since mid-November between 500 and 1000 kilometres from where we tagged them," he said.

So far, tagging has mapped their path from Queensland all the way around the south coast to Western Australia.

Russel Bradford was part of the tagging team which attached transmitters to four sharks near North Neptune Island three weeks ago.

"The biggest shark, the 3.8-metre shark, was about 500 kilos, but our cradle is in the water so it's not a matter of lifting the shark at all," he said.

The tags will continue collecting data for up to six months.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry to be a "killjoy" but all Great whites and Bull sharks should be killed on sight!

They serve no purpose ( I don't go for this vacuum cleaner of the sea *****cks)

The more the seas a commercially fished out the more they come close to the shore looking for food!

Sorry, but I say destry they and make them extinct! They are mindless killers

G

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Gavin,

An interesting yet poor solution.

Sharks provide a vital role in the ocean, control of marine life and they are part of the food chain of the ocean. To use the excuse that the seas are over fished and that they are looking for us is pretty far fetched. There have been only 2 confirmed cases of human consumption. We provide very little nutrition to the needs of a shark.

Why not control fishing to stop overfishing which would in turn protect our oceans. over fish remove the fish, the ocean dies.
    That is a bit like saying to fix the gun problem instead of taking them away we kill everyone then there will be no more gun problems. Kill the ocean kills human life, ocean becomes over polluted creating toxins that we will breathe because yes the Ocean is the biggest mass on this planet and where rain comes from hmmmmmmmmm.

Throw humans through a wildlife park and the predators will sit back and munch.

The planet is a fine balance add us and we cause chaos, but then again no one would want to remove everyone would they!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am going to agree with GW. The instances in which a human has been eaten by a shark is very limited. Compared to the dozens of unknown interactions people have with these animals everyday, on average only 70-100 people are attacked yearly by sharks. With one third of attacks documented acountable to the GW. Sharks have enhabited the earth for more than 300 million years, and have been adapting to the extreme changes ever since, evolving into the species we have alive today. As for humans we have barely even started calling earth home. Therefore, humans are invading in on a world that before they ruled. There are millions of shark incounters every year, yet only 5 people on average die and 70 are attacked. I know alot of people are thinking that we should kill all sharks. What if we did? We would be losing a very valuable link in our ecosystem. Sharks aid in many medical research projects, furthering our understanding and in some cases finding a cures to diseases. If all sharks were swiped from the face of the earth then the heath and life of humans would be changed.
    In comparison to the 5-10 deaths of humans yearly by sharks, commercial and public fishermen hunt and kill an excess of 50 million sharks each and every year. Sharks are one of hte most important creatures alive today and they have survived 350 million years and hopefully with the help and conservationd of humans they will live another 350.
    Some links to pictures and facts about the hunting and killing of sharks.

http://www.worldandi.com/newhome/pub...uary/nspub.asp
    http://www.calacademy.org/aquarium/sharks.html
    http://www.newenglandsharks.com/N.ENG.%20whites.htm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly...

You guys are so diplomatic. You shame me! My initial response to Gavin's idea of a solution was so much less... polite. So in the interests of being a lady, I shall refrain from telling Gavin exactly what I think of his post.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I reckon Gavin's view is sad, to say the least.
    Maybe he suffered some trauma that was shark-related. I don't know.
    His view is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 16, 2005 06:41 PM: Message edited by: necrophobic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is sad but one that is not uncommon!
    Typical ignorance to that we do not understand.

Yet who is smarter given the fact Sharks have been here longer than us!