Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The two divers left for 6 hours in shark-invested waters near Australia's Great Barrier Reef this week would surely have welcomed the wetsuit being patented by Vladimir Vlad in the US.

The new suit takes advantage of the fact that sharks have sensitive receptors in their snouts which detect electrical fields in the water. This helps them track prey, but if the field is too powerful the shark backs off.

Made of metal and neoprene in the usual way, the wetsuit has thin piezoelectric ceramic fibres woven into its fabric. The fibres extend along the body and limbs, connecting to metal electrodes which harvest any charge generated when the piezo material is deformed by the wearer?s movement.

The voltage delivered by the fibres depends on their length and how many there are. During normal swimming, the suit continually generates several volts which flow through the water between the electrodes to create a deterrent field. If the diver sees an undeterred shark and swims fast to get away ? a natural reaction, one suspects ? the suit generates much higher voltages and stronger fields.

If the shark still fails to get the message and bites the suit, it gets a shock in the mouth and ? hopefully ? gives up for the day.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 22, 2005 12:48 PM: Message edited by: sayor ]</font>

Junior Hostboard Member Charley7's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Shark Repelling Wetsuit

Hi. I just need a diving suit. I'm a beginner, and I really liked diving, so I decided not to stop there and for this I need my own suit, because before I rented from my good friend. Who will recommend me to buy a suitable wetsuit and possibly some other equipment.

Junior Hostboard Member kevin51's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Shark Repelling Wetsuit

A wetsuit is a kind of equipment that protects the swimmer from hypothermia and skin injuries. The wetsuit is used for a variety of water sports including spearfishing, diving, freediving, windsurfing and diving.
    It should fit perfectly and fit snugly to the body, like a second skin. A suit that is too loose will not keep warm well, and a suit that is too tight will make it difficult to breathe, leading to rapid exhaustion of the swimmer.
    I would recommend windsurfing and following the criteria to be followed when choosing a wetsuit.