Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question/Challenge for those of you who read books...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Question/Challenge for those of you who read books....

You must have read the short story "The Emperor's New Clothes". The plot revolves around everyone telling the emperor how beautiful his clothes are, when the emperor is actually naked.

The story has a lighthearted ending as it is through the eyes of a child that the profound words are spoken..."The Dude's buck-naked!".

After the Emperor laughs at this funny turn of events, all have a good laugh. The end.

Now, my question is this, why read literature at all if you don't intelligently incorporate it into your daily life, into your philosophy of life?

Recently, an emperor was re-elected by a vote of 11 million to zero. When the little boy rose to speak, all that came out of his mouth was..."all hail Sadam".

You learned bookreaders you, why did you accept this blaspheme of philosophical truth, and not give the recent elections in Irag a second thought?

If you had given the elections in Irag a second thought, even if you hate George Bush, you would hate Sadam just as much, yet you don't.

So my question is, why even bother reading classic short stories such as the Emperor's New Clothes if they don't add any insight into your view of the present day world?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm in the DigitalAge:
    A Question/Challenge for those of you who read books....

So my question is, why even bother reading classic short stories such as the Emperor's New Clothes if they don't add any insight into your view of the present day world?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is such a ridiculous post i don't even know
    where to begin in justifying it with a response.

your post would make some shred of epiphany if
    the emperor's new clothes were the only
    book ever written. also, your post would serve
    as some profound insight if everyone:

<ul type="square">[*] interpreted the story the way you did[*] applied the same interpretation to the course of events, as you did[*] had never read more insightful, more profound things other than the emperor's new clothes[/list]

the fact of the matter is, that story DOES apply
    to the current events... though, IMO, in the direct
    opposite as you have interpreted it.

in the story, the emperor had been deluded...
    tricked and misled. upon realization of his error,
    a moral was learned (by the emperor).

saddam is just as brilliant. regardless of the
    elections, he is not deluded... and will not be
    deluded by false doctrine and fast-speak from the
    west.

as for your final question:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So my question is, why even bother reading classic short stories such as the Emperor's New Clothes if they don't add any insight into your view of the present day world?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

my only answer to this is that i have graduated
    from elementary stories and found a deeper truth
    in more difficult reads.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the emperor's new clothes is a ***** tale.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

f.a.i.r.y

what a bizarre word to censor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and the narrator says:

this is the point in the dialogue where alex
    confronts soulfilms on the incorrect judgment
    of his post... arguing that the best morals
    come from faerietales... and that the difference
    between faerietales and the real world are slim
    to none....

soulfilms utter lack of the acknowledgment of
    this and her indifference towards the seriousness
    of alex's post may result in clashing of views.

let's watch and see what happens....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what's going on here. (I burn books)
    However, I hate saddam.... yet hate to agree with Alex..... Is this a paradox?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no... its a sin...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do dislike doubling Shatzy's posts just to point out the errors, but here goes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by shatzy:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm in the DigitalAge:
    [qb]A Question/Challenge for those of you who read books....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by shatzy:

this is such a ridiculous post i don't even know
    where to begin in justifying it with a response.

Now, wasn't that a thoughtful, non-confrontational shot across the bow? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

your post would make some shred of epiphany if
    the emperor's new clothes were the only
    book ever written.

I don't agree with that.

also, your post would serve
    as some profound insight if everyone:

<ul type="square">[*] interpreted the story the way you did[*] applied the same interpretation to the course of events, as you did[*] had never read more insightful, more profound things other than the emperor's new clothes[/list]

More mumbo jumbo.

the fact of the matter is, that story DOES apply
    to the current events... though, IMO, in the direct opposite as you have interpreted it.

Now that is a backtrack if ever I saw one.

in the story, the emperor had been deluded...
    tricked and misled. upon realization of his error,
    a moral was learned (by the emperor).

That is not a wide-held belief. The emporeror kind of knew, kind of didn't know, but kind of didn't care what the truth was, he was the king.

That sounds a awful lot like Sadam.

saddam is just as brilliant. regardless of the
    elections, he is not deluded... and will not be
    deluded by false doctrine and fast-speak from the
    west.

He's just as egotistical, maniacal, and murderous, I dare say brilliant is not necessarily the first word that comes to mind in regards to Sadam.

as for your final question:

[QUOTE]So my question is, why even bother reading classic short stories such as the Emperor's New Clothes if they don't add any insight into your view of the present day world?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

my only answer to this is that i have graduated
    from elementary stories and found a deeper truth
    in more difficult reads.

"LET THEM READ HARDBOUNDS"
    -Marie Shatzoinette.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)