There are certain phrases that are oxymorons. I define oxymoron as a phrase that means the opposite of what it's intended meaning was.

Saying "I am a humble person" is an example of what I consider to be an oxymoron. To me, saying "I am a humble person" is a form of bragging! [img]tongue.gif[/img] (unless you want to argue that a humble person is also merely speaking the truth when they call themselves a humble person)

I believe for the term "compassion" to exist in an empathatic state would require a third person stating it about someone else after observing them interacting with another.

So, once again, I cannot say "I am a compassionate person" without it sounding egocentric and condescending. However, a third person could say that about someone else.

That is why, in my opinion, if a person says "I pity that person" or "I have compassion for that person", the two phrases become practically indistinguishable from one another.

But a third party observer could say, he or she is a compassionate person, and it would definitely be different than the use of the word pity.