Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just thought I'd share the story of my cat with the severly enlarged eyeball.

My cat has a severly enlarged eyeball. Marty Feldman would have been proud. I'm concerned. The vet thinks she has glaucoma. She isn't eating. I asked for medication to increase her appetite. I got it, and she eats, but the glaucoma medicine is not working. The eyeball has gotten even worse.

Any suggestions?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You need another vet...if he /she thinks ..then you need to find one who knows..I spend more money on vet bills than i ever spent on doctor bills..but once we take on a pet..its our responsibility to see to it they are cared for as we would care for a child that is dependant on us in every way...I hope your cat will get better..nothing upsets me more than an animal being sick or injured.. [img]frown.gif[/img] ..lots of luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

here, here.... i agree with blazey.
    get a second opinion...

and by that -- i don't consider the first diagnosis
    incorrect, because i strongly believe it is glaucoma.

but i would definitely seek better care by going
    to another vet... perhaps someone specializing
    in cats (i have one in my small town, you prolly
    have some there).

here are some links too:

feline uveitis

feline opthamology

feline eye disorders

my very best wishes to your cat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, I was hoping to hear from Soufilms, but I guess she's too busy to respond. [img]graemlins/cat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well fuc k, alex.... i guess i'll just carry my frig gin as s

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*rolls eyes*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I still say get a new vet...if yours was going to remove a perfectly fine eye..I'd be rather leary of their services...would you like to go to the dr to have a suspicious growth looked at..only to find they amputated your protruding male appendage..coz it looked suspicious..*think on that one* [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, OK, I won't prolong the story. My computer was down when all of this happened so the situation is already almost resolved.

You two offered good advice.

I called a friend who suggested I take the cat to a board certified cat eye doctor! There are four in the Southern California area! Four, four for 15 million pet owners in Southern California. (I'm estimating the amount of pet owners in S.C., in may only be 5-10 million)

One board certified animal eye doctor had a three week waiting period. I went to one of the other animal eye doctors. She had just moved from the San Diego area and had some time availability.

On a side note, I had tickets to the LA Womens tennis championships between Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters that evening, and naturally, the cat got to go to the vet. (I ain't that nice of a guy, I tried to dump the cat at the vet and pick her up after the match, but they wouldn't go for it)

After the eye doc saw the cat, the eye doc thought the cat had either an infection or a tumor behind her eye. She then decided the cat should stay overnight and get an ultrascan in the morning. So it all worked out, the cat stayed overnight AND I missed the tennis match. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It turns out the cat has a bad tooth! Which caused an infection to spread to behind the eye. Our pets have cute widdle faces, and frankly, their eyes, nose, and brains aren't too far from each other, or from their teeth.

Mystery solved, the cat is a lot better now. Now, my only worry is my regular vet has to give the cat an anesthesia to clean/remove the bad tooth or teeth.

My regular vet had original prognosed that the cat would probably have to have her eye taken out. All in all, the cat appears to have made out pretty well. Except for the medication I have to give her on a daily basis.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just because I wanted SoulFilms opinion also does not mean I don't value Shatzy's or Blazey's opinion.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread had already moved beyond that point.

When Shatzy posts a topic involving a puzzle, riddle, or scenario, is Shatzy supposed to immediately give the answer after only one or two responses?

Lighten up goobie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Blazey:
    I still say get a new vet...if yours was going to remove a perfectly fine eye..I'd be rather leary of their services... </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked the vet if the bad eye could be caused by an airborne infection...she was very sure of herself and said no. However, has she never had a case where a bad eye was caused because of a bad tooth?

The eye looked pretty bad, so I don't quite track with the perfectly fine eye comment. However, I don't think there are board certified dental animal doctors, or I would take the cat to one of those for the tooth work.

But if your point is my vet shouldn't do the teeth work because of the misdiagnosis about the eye, then I appreciate your input.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast