Thread: This is Why the People on the Planet Earth's Surface Deserve No Mercy...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8724405.htm?1c

Posted on Fri, May. 21, 2004

Retired Russian military officer honored for averting nuclear war

Associated Press

MOSCOW - A retired Russian military officer on Friday received an award from an association that promotes world peace for averting what could have become a nuclear war, according to a statement posted on the San Francisco-based association's Web site.

Lieutenant Colonel Stanislav Petrov was in charge of the Soviet Union's early warning system in September 1983, when the system wrongly signaled the launch of a U.S. Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile. Petrov had less than 20 minutes to decide whether the report was accurate and whether he should launch missiles in retaliation, according to an article published by the Vlast magazine in 1998.

Tensions were high between the United States and the Soviet Union at the time, after the Soviet military shot down a Korean plane that strayed over Soviet air space, killing all of the 269 people on board, including a U.S. congressman.

Under his own authority, Petrov decided the alarm was false and did not begin a retaliatory attack.

On Friday, the Association of World Citizens, a worldwide organization that promotes peace on Earth, presented Petrov with the World Citizen Award and launched a campaign to raise $1,000 for the Russian, who receives only a meager pension.

"All the 20 years that passed since that moment I didn't believe I had done something extraordinary. I was simply doing my job and I did it well," Petrov was shown by Russia's NTV television as saying.

The Vlast article said that Petrov suffered severe stress after the incident and spent several months in hospitals before being discharged from the military.

-----------------------------------------

Well, we don't want to reward him too much for saving all of our ***** otherwise others will want to fake a nuclear strike to gain a $1,000 reward.
    :shock:

How can we be so ungrateful?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is a more indepth version of the story.

Global Disaster Averted

Global Disaster Averted
    by a Forgotten Hero of Our Time
    by Douglas Mattern
    Published on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 by CommonDreams.org

"I think that this is the closest we've come to accidental nuclear war."
    -- (Bruce Blair, Director, Center for Defense Information, Dateline NBC, Nov. 12, 2000)

This month marks the 20th anniversary of an incident that could have resulted in nuclear war. The forgotten hero that singularly avoided this disaster through his cool judgment under incredible pressure is Lt. Colonel Stanislav Petrov, formerly of the Soviet Army.

It was the night of September 26, 1983, with Colonel Petrov in charge of 200 men operating a Russian early warning bunker just south of Moscow. Petrov's job was monitoring incoming signals from satellites. He reported directly to the Russian early warning-system headquarters that reported to the Soviet leader on the possibility of launching a retaliatory attack.

It's important to note that this was a period of high tension between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. President Reagan was calling the Soviets the "Evil Empire." The Russian military shot down a Korean passenger jet just three weeks prior to this incident, and the U.S. and NATO were organizing a military exercise that centered on using tactical nuclear weapons in Europe. Soviet leaders were worried the west was planning a nuclear attack.

In an interview with the English newspaper Daily Mail, Colonel Petrov recalls that fateful night when alarms went off and the early warning computer screens were showing a nuclear attack launched by the United States. "I felt as if I'd been punched in my nervous system. There was a huge map of the States with a U.S. base lit up, showing that the missiles had been launched."

For several minutes Petrov held a phone in one hand and an intercom in the other as alarms continued blaring, red lights blinking, and the computers reporting that U.S. missiles were on their way. In the midst of this horrific chaos and terror, the prospect of the end of civilization itself, Petrov made an historic decision not to alert higher authorities, believing in his gut and hoping with all that is sacred, that contrary to what all the sophisticated equipment was reporting, this alarm was an error.

"I didn't want to make a mistake," Petrov said, "I made a decision and that was it." The Daily Mail wrote, "Had Petrov cracked and triggered a response, Soviet missiles would have rained down on U.S. cities. In turn, that would have brought a devastating response from the Pentagon."

As agonizing minutes passed, Petrov's decision proved correct. It was a computer error that signaled a U.S. attack. In the Daily Mail interview, Petrov said,"After it was over, I drank half a liter of vodka as if it were only a glass, and slept for 28 hours," and he commented, "In principle, a nuclear war could have broken out. The whole world could have been destroyed."

In our increasingly superficial societies that praise celebrities and all manner of fools as role models, many legitimate heroes go unnoticed and without reward. In the case of Colonel Petrov, he was dismissed from the Army on a pension that in succeeding years would prove nearly worthless. Petrov's superiors were reprimanded for the computer error, and in the Soviet system, all in the group were automatically subjected to the same treatment.

The Daily Mirror found Petrov's health destroyed by the terrible stress of the incident. His wife died of cancer and he lives alone in a second-floor flat in a dreary town of Fyranzino about 30 miles from Moscow.

"Once I would have liked to have been given some credit for what I did," said Petrov, "But it is to long ago and today everything is emotionally burned out inside me. I still have a bitter feeling inside my soul as I remember the way I was treated."

There have been many incidents like September 26, 1983; just how many we may never know. We do know that little has changed as thousands of U.S. and Russian nuclear warheads remain on "hair-trigger alert" that could be launched in a few minutes notice destroying both countries in less than one hour -- perhaps initiated by a computer error.

To end this utter madness all nuclear warheads must be removed from "hair-trigger" alert and placed in storage with continuous inspection by both sides and the United Nations. Only then will be daily threat of nuclear incineration by an accident missile launch or miscalculation be eliminated.

In an interview with Stanislav Petrov on Dateline NBC (Nov. 12, 2000) reporter Dennis Murphy said: "I know you don't regard yourself as a hero, Colonel, but, belatedly, on behalf of the people in Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, thank you for being on duty that night."

At the close of the Dateline NBC interview with Stanislav Petrov on Nov. 12, 2000, anchor Stone Phillips said, "Some of you may be wondering just how verifiable this story is. Well, a former CIA official we spoke to told us it is confirmed by Russian and other sources and that he believes it. He says Petrov's account is consistent with what we knew about the Soviet early warning system at the time and the way it was operated. He also notes that the Russian government has never challenged the story."

Long overdue, the Association of World Citizens is recognizing Stanislav Petrov and the debt we all owe him with a Distinguished World Citizen Award to be presented in a public ceremony in Moscow.

The author is President of the Association of World Citizens, a San Francisco based international peace organization with branches in 30 countries and NGO status with the United Nations.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find This Story Sad.

It's the story of Ferdinand, winner of the 1986 Kentucky Derby, being put down and turned into either pet food or people food in Japan.

Once one is at the top, (be it an animal or human,) and one has "entertained" millions with one's athleticism, being subsequently turned into a meat product afterwards seems wrong to me. [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It just dawned on me, how does one celebrate what this Russian General did?

Do we create a "Happy you didn't blow up the World Holiday" and celebrate what didn't happen every year? Would that Holiday become the target of terrorists?

Well, I'll celebrate it every so often, no rhyme or reason.