Colossians is terrific, notably for its presentation of the Deity of Jesus ? he is Creator, holding everything together (1:16-17), and all that makes God God, dwells in him bodily (2:9).

If there's a verse that troubles me it's

Col 1:24 (NASB)
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions.

Using the same kind of reasoning that justifies the existence of purgatory, a Roman Catholic interpretation is that here Paul is suffering to expiate his sins, even though they may be forgiven ? sounds like double-talk. (A similar case is David's in 2 Sam 2:13-14, it is claimed). We read, however, only that Paul is suffering for the church ? for the name of Jesus (Acts 9:16) ? and there's no mention of his own sins. (In David's case too, the LORD acted for his name's sake.)

The troublesome question remains, are Christ's afflictions somehow deficient? Surely not! Not in so far as he saves completely all he purchased through the cross, that sacrifice being of inestimable value.

Matthew Henry's commentary is helpful:

"Both the sufferings of the Head and of the members are called the sufferings of Christ, and make up, as it were, one body of sufferings. But He suffered for the redemption of the church; we suffer on other accounts; for we do but slightly taste that cup of afflictions of which Christ first drank deeply. A Christian may be said to fill up that which remains of the sufferings of Christ, when he takes up his cross, and after the pattern of Christ, bears patiently the afflictions God allots to him."

"Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 Tim 3:12). Ever worry you're not being persecuted enough?

Neil