Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post links to Christian websites***

This website helps you learn more about faith, what true conversion (as opposed to false conversion) is, and how you can be saved.

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

***Some websites posted on here might not be the true word of God. Only the Bible is wholly and without a doubt true. Don't mistake these websites as the Ultimate Truth. They can, however, perhaps teach you something. So...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the link, it looks very interesting. This is the first time I've been on here and the board is very interesing. I've read some interesting posts and am happy to see the truth being spoken and sought!
    Jan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board! We're glad you're here! Hope you stick around! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

ButtercupFlibble

Originally posted by Tra:
    ***Some websites posted on here might not be the true word of God. Only the Bible is wholly and without a doubt true. Don't mistake these websites as the Ultimate Truth. They can, however, perhaps teach you something. So...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which bible, exactly? There are a ton of different versions and people have been killing each other and having wars for ages because they can't agree which one is right.

For example, an edition printed in 1632 one edition said "Thou shalt commit adultery." as the seventh commandment.

And then in 1653 there was another where I Corinthians 6:9 read "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of God?"

Then one in 1763 had Psalm 14:1 as "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those are not Bibles, then. A true Bible, all versions, translations, etc., is the whole and complete Word of God.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uhm, I'm studying myth right now at school, as part of my literature classes, and did you know that quite a lot of cultures older than the Hebrew one told stories similar to that in the Bible? And that lots of things in the Bible are self-contradictory? I had no idea until I had to do a close reading of the Oxford Study Bible that there are so many contradictory tales! I also didn't know that the stories were so incredibly similar to others outside of the Hebrew culture, which pre-dated the Bible stories.

I think it's very odd for you to say that the Bible is "wholly and without a doubt true" since most people generally dismiss the other, practically identical, tales as false!

Anyway, I'm genuinely interested in trying to understand what people mean when they say that, because of everything else I've learned through my interest in anthropology and folklore that doesn't seem to mesh well. Would you explain it to me, please?

Thank you,
    KERI

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's mostly about faith.

As to the Bible being contradictory, I don't think it is contradictory at all. Nothing in the Bible directly contradicts anything else in the Bible. The Old Testament and the New Testament may have some different things, but that is because the New Testament delves deeper into the real meaning behind some of the Old Testament laws. The New Covenant has evolved from the Old Covenant. It did not invalidate it, but it did help to explain it better.

As for the Bible having stories similar to those in other mythological religions (i.e. Zoroastrianism and Gilgamesh) yes, I knew about those. I never thought those disproved the events. Similar stories are like facts that got distorted a little. They have part of the truth (like Gilgamesh and Utnapishtim's flood) but not all of it. So yes, I believe that the Bible is "wholly and without a doubt true" while the other tales are false.

As to why I take the Bible more seriously than any other religious texts or similar stories, it is because I have faith that God is the King of the Universe. Looking at all the things that go on in this world, I can't possibly believe there is not God. I mean, all the intricate workings of the human body and the universe cannot have possibly evolved out of nothing. So...knowing that there is Someone powerful enough to create the world, we can also think that someone with that much power, and the power to make the world turn out perfectly (as it will in the end), is perfect. If He is perfect, then anything less than perfect cannot dwell with Him...His perfection would utterly blow the imperfect (us) away. This Perfect God also loves us. We know this because He created us and has given us so much. So the Perfect Being sent His Son to make us perfect, to make us clean so that we could dwell with Him. The whole Bible revolves around that...Jesus and His love. It's all true because it all makes sense and I have faith. It all meshes perfectly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I hope this helps you understand it better. If you have any more questions please ask.

Love in Christ,
    Tra