Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Boycott AG? For or Against and why...

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Prasnlrd, that is so true..

and it made me laugh too, how you said "excuse me, what holiday are we celebrating?" LOL i never thought of that way...

maybe Easter should be "Look For Plastic Eggs in the Backyard Day"
    and Thanksgiving can be "Get Really Full and Loosen Your Belt Day"
    LOL

Christmas has a meaning behind it and it is so stupid for people to pretend it isn't there...here's the REAL question...

"If you are not a Christian and are not celebrating the birth of Christ, then why do you celebrate Christmas?"

And people would say, "because we want presents, and the tree with the star on it just looks so darn pretty"

My feeling is, if you are not Jewish, you don't celebrate Hannukkah, and if you are not Christian then why are you celebrating Christmas?

Christmas is a RELIGIOUS holiday, people, just like Hannukkah!

On that note, I got these really great Christmas cards to send to people this year. They are of Baby Jesus lying in the manger, and Santa Claus kneeling before Jesus with his head bowed.
    I know Santa Claus was not at Jesus's birth lol but I thought it sent a good message...you know, because people tend to "worship" Santa Claus, and this card has Santa Claus bowing down worshipping Jesus.

prasnlrd

Originally posted by StarTrekCaptain:
    Christmas is a RELIGIOUS holiday, people, just like Hannukkah!

On that note, I got these really great Christmas cards to send to people this year. They are of Baby Jesus lying in the manger, and Santa Claus kneeling before Jesus with his head bowed.
    I know Santa Claus was not at Jesus's birth lol but I thought it sent a good message...you know, because people tend to "worship" Santa Claus, and this card has Santa Claus bowing down worshipping Jesus.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Two excellent point made here! Christmas is a Christian Holiday! YES, YES, YES!

Reagarding the Baby Jesus and Santa. I have a beautiful figurine of this I display every Christmas. I also have a Christmas Tree ornament of this that I have on an ornament hanger sitting next to the figurine.

[img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] prasnlrd in CA. [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! I agree I agree I agree... [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Sanguinarius

OK so target has said people needed to say Happy holidays? wowwie. Missed that report. Would I boycott them? Probably not.

I am a Christian.

I really had to think about the whole issue with the ICAN bands. My mother called me when the news reports really started up on it. My husband and I really took the time to look over the materials that Girls Inc were making available.

I was disappointed that so much of the material was about Lesbianism. I won't deny that. However I began to really think about the overall mission of this foundation. They started back in the Victorian Era when girls and women were not free to speak about sexuality in general. When an ****** was oppressed. When a woman couldn't see a doctor for fear that she might not social be accepted anymore. I thought about how they have supported the medical community and taught girls about their bodies and how to stay healthy and active. How to spiritually support themselves.

I sat and thought about ALL of the rolls wemon face today. I thought about how women have been oppressed in the past. Lesbianism IS something that some girls need to learn about. They aren't there to make a moral statement but a social and educated statement. Only when a girl can understand her body can she work with it and work on what she needs to be doing for herself.

That is what Girls Inc supports. Girls learning and doing for themselves. Can I support that? Sure. Do I see whay AG wanted and affiliation with them? Sure.

I don't believe my boycotts will make a darn difference. I am gald you guys are having the discussion here though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by prasnlrd:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chrstnwmn7:
    I think the whole happy holidays thing is a little off...but that is just MHO.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh now this really bothers me something fierce too. I mean, how can you take Christ out of Christmas?? That is absurd. As far as people saying "Happy Holidays"...er excuse me...but what holiday are we celebrating!!! That is like saying lets not say The 4th of July, lets call it Fireworks Day.

Jesus is the reason for all seasons!

[img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] prasnlrd in CA. [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What holiday are we celebrating? Well about 10 million people in the United States are celebrating Hanukah. Saying "Happy Holidays" is simple good manners and courtesy when you don't know for certain the faith of the person to whom you are speaking.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well about 10 million people in the United States are celebrating Hanukah.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And, if you take a moment to study this website on American Ethnic Geography, you'll see that no congregation can claim to be the "majority" everywhere in the U.S.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/geo/cour.../religion.html

So, the emphasis on religious holidays can vary strongly, depending on what area of the country you're in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once again, thanks for keeping it civil here.

I must say, though, that I am tired of non-Christians calling all Christians "judgemental" just because they believe something is wrong. I don't stop loving a person just becuase they do something worng. I judge their actions and not the person. God would have stopped loving me a long time ago if He stopped loving people as soon as they sinned. That's not what Christianity is about. You can love someone, certainly, without believing that everything they do is right. No one here has said anything that makes me think that they have stopped loving anyone.

Keep posting, guys
    Thanks,
    Tra

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, all of a sudden I'm a Nazi, a supporter of slavery, and an oppressor of women. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

StarTrekCaptain,
    I am certainly not accusing you of being a Nazi, a supporter of slavery, or anything else ridiculous like that.

I am simply stating:
    What is right is not always what is popular.
    What is popular is not always what is right.

I encourage you to have the integrity to stand up for your opinions because you believe they're right. If you give real *reasons* why you believe what you believe, I'll respect that.

"Defending" your opinions only by claiming lots of other people agree with you is not a very compelling argument.

Just something to think about.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Miss X ]</font>

Sanguinarius

I also belive that the general idea of majority rules is dangerous. I have had countless stories about how the jews were rounded. The "majority" didn't do a darn thing for them. They stood back in fear of what they were seeing. I don't believe the majority of germans wanted the jews gone. Most were to scared to do anything to the ones doing it. The lived in fear in a non religous society where freedom of speech was squashed. Where choice wasn't allowed. Sometimes it is easier to do and follow what everyone wants. But it isn't always the right thing.

Majority doesn't rule. What rules in society is fear.

Fear of being made fun of
    Fear of being undereducated
    Fear of being hurt

It is unfortunate but something that anyone can overcome. I think the fact that these things are being discussed here is kind of fun.....like an adult centered AG board. Wonder where I have heard that line before.....

[img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast