Thread: If this Board is about being able to debate...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Read the "Welcome" thread...the rules are in there.

I will also say that the point of this board is not to debate, but to have fun in a place that allows debate. We have the same basic point as the other board, but we allow some things that board does not.

As for your thoughts that only people who agree with me or have the same opinions can post on this board...that is totally untrue. Anyone can post here as long as they respect the rules. Granted, I will not allow anything like paganism being promoted (i.e. someone trying to convert people to paganism) or anything that may harm a person's spiritual health, but a lively debate over, for example, the I CAN bands and everything is very welcome.

You are welcome to post here lots! Please do, even if you don't agree with what I say!

Thanks for your opinions,
    Tra

Felicity_Fan85

I don't see how this board is fun. People are against me here because of my beliefs. Not everyone knows why I said what I did. I'm going back to the other board where stuff like this won't happen. No wonder I hate debating. Someone always ends up hurt because of their beliefs. When all in all, no one's beliefs are wrong! Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and values and morals and no body should put them down about that or anything. That is my honest opinion. Goodnight.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Felicity_Fan85 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Then you have already broken your own rules by allowing the sort of attitude people are giving each other for disagreeing. I agree with Felicity_fan. This board will quickly get out of control.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I realize that the intention of this board is to create a place where politics and religion-the two conversational taboos-can be discussed and debated. But I cant help but wonder how much 'fair' debating can be occuring when members are allowed to ask others if they are 'crazy' to think one way or the board itself promotes one type of religion. Now Im not saying you should be censoring on here, but I have already seen people getting attitudes with one another thats not good for real discussion. Yes I know I helped it along by letting the initial 'are you crazy' comment get to me. But I openly apologize for being short tempered and have edited some of those comments. However, it still stands that the poster in question was not being respectful to someone else's opinions and yet was left to do so only because, I have to assume, the moderator agrees with her.

Ultimately, I dont know how much 'real' good debating can go on in a forum like this. But Ill watch because I like a good argument [img]wink.gif[/img] However I have already got the feeling it will mostly be people of the same opinions supporting one another with just slightly varying ways of expressing it. Nothing that deviates too far from that seems like it will be accepted. By some that is.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 12:56 AM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*shortie* please give me some examples of what you are talking about when you say we are already breaking the rules.

I realize that there is going to be some heated debate here, but we can keep it civil if everyone agrees to and obeys the rules. Common courtesy is all I ask. Once again, read the Welcome thread for the rules in totality.

Thanks for your opinion,
    Tra

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by *shortie*:
    Then you have already broken your own rules by allowing the sort of attitude people are giving each other for disagreeing. I agree with Felicity_fan. This board will quickly get out of control.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This reminds me of Gaia, which is why I left Gaia. You could have a debate, but within seconds the debate would get so childish that suddenly both sides are just saying "you're a poopy head." "No you." "No you." etc. There was no debate. But Gaia still exists because it thrives off of people trolling and wanting to troll back... so I don't think this board will shut down, but it may end up like Gaia.

Granted I wish we could have intellectual debates on the other AG board, but intellectualism seems to be fading fast (or the ability to research). This is why I think they ban them, because in the end the debates would just turn into trivial name calling. This ruins the possibility of anybody learning something about each of the opposing sides.

A few more words. My beliefs are based off of what I have researched, read, and lectured on. I believe that people have the right to be who they are and do as they want as long as it does not hurt anyone else. If somebody wants to be gay (be gay). If somebody wants to sit on the couch drinking gravy out of a saucepan, fine let them. It doesn't hurt me. As long as none of them try to force their way of living upon me that is fine. I will debate and I will argue, but I will only debate with people who have done their research and are not basing their opinions off of uninformed rants from an extremist lunatic (and I do mean extremist lunatics on both sides... there are extremist atheists just as much as extremist Christians). I find the best debate is when both sides have researched their reasons behind their beliefs and can present clear arguments as to why their side is accurate and the other can counter without the potential for childish name calling. It is called acting mature and being an adult. Tolerance and maturity is the key to a good debate.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 16, 2005 09:37 PM: Message edited by: sailorangel59 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes...maturity is important. And just so you know, I base my beliefs on the Bible, which is enough research for me. It's all I need to base my arguements and life on. I do realize that other people won't find this good enough, but I do, and as this board is just for fun, no research is required to debate here.

Maturity is required and name calling is not allowed. Hopefully people will stick to the rules and this board will not deteriorate like your other example.

Thanks for your views,
    Tra

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 16, 2005 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is no possibility of any ammount of peace on this board what so ever! When two people have different opu's emotions usually colide. Just watch, you'll see. But don't take it from me, after all I'm "young" "immature" and to top it off "stupid" WOW real mature Messgae Bored.
    -The Sensored Christian American Girl Board

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra you are so right. Everything we need to know about life and death and science and purpose and how to live comes from the Bible. And we don't need any other research. After all, what higher authority is there than God?
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yup! I'm glad you agree, StarTrekCaptain. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chloe--no one called you stupid. Maybe they said what you were posting was stupid. There is a difference. If you want to post here civilly and not try to tear this board down because you don't like it you are welcome. If you don't like the board though, you don't have to be here.

Tra