Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The other thread was getting too long. This is a continuation of the previous thread. Please read that before posting here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very funny, Kitschywoman.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't find the concept very funny at all, and I certainly didn't intend it to be a mockery. What scares me the most is that I truly believe there are people out there who will advocate these types of actions to preserve a fetus's "right to life." After all, you can make abortion illegal, but you still can't prevent women from having back-alley abortions. The only way to truly preserve the lives of fetuses everywhere is to exercise complete and total control over mothers-to-be. [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 19, 2005 10:40 PM: Message edited by: kitschywoman ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We just ask for the bare bones of common decency. A simple law. People will break the law. They will then be locked up. Same as with any other law. No one is going to take away anyone's rights (except you who take away the baby's) just put the woman in jail like they would put a common murderer in jail. That's all I'm asking. Your thing is not only improbable, but wrong.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No one is going to take away anyone's rights.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But you just advocated locking up women and taking away their rights to control what happens to their own bodies. [img]eek.gif[/img] What if they choose other means to force a miscarriage instead of a back-alley abortion? Should they be arrested then?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 20, 2005 08:07 AM: Message edited by: kitschywoman ]</font>

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

kitschywoman, if a woman chooses to kill her baby she has committed murder and should go to jail for murder. Simple as that. Otehr people who kill children go to jail. But I guess if your the mother then its ok to kill your kid...before they're born, of course.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But this all goes back to if you define a fetus as a baby and a life. And the law does not. Therefore, it is NOT murder. Scientists do not consider a fetus to be a life and since we thankfully do not live in a theocracy, you cannot say that god says it is life and use that as the basis of the law.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anne, that is a really interesting point! An abortion as a sort of medical procedure is what some want to make illegal. But where do you draw the line as to what should be an illegal termination of pregnancy? Definitely something I have to ponder. (Not that I want any of it to be illegal, but it is an interesting "what if?" thought.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All I ask is that the baby be given the same rights as any other human. We don't lock people up for feeding their children junk food...why would we lock someone up for eating junk food while pregnant? That's just silly.

Whether or not something is legal, we should all do what is right. It is good to do what is right for others. A preborn baby IS another human being. Thus, it is good to do what is right for him or her, just as it would be good for a mother to do what is right for her born child.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra, I wasn't thinking junk food. I was think more along the lines of herbs that could enduce a miscarriage. I am wondering where that would fit into the laws.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Abortion wasn't always legal. It was illegal in the US before Roe v. Wade (and she wasn't even pregnant, mind). Did we have all of these problems you fear (of the mother having no rights, etc.)?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast