Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite verses of the Bible!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Tra:
    Emma--I love those verses too. Romans is one of my favorite books! Great great comfort to be found there! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sometimes I wish I could read the bible. But I don't like it at all,because it stops and starts in the strangest places, and it makes no sense. I don't know HOW you people get what you do from it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would reccommend starting in Luke if you really wanted to try and read the Bible.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by zozey:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tra:
    Emma--I love those verses too. Romans is one of my favorite books! Great great comfort to be found there! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sometimes I wish I could read the bible. But I don't like it at all,because it stops and starts in the strangest places, and it makes no sense. I don't know HOW you people get what you do from it.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But you can read the Bible. Would you stop reading a Harry Potter book just because it stops and starts in strange places, or made no sense? I know I wouldn't. I would keep reading until it made sense. You really just need to read through it and think about what it is saying. As Tra suggested, starting in Luke would be a wonderful place, especially since it covers the birth of Jesus.

But really Zozey, you should give it a try. Also some Scriptures and Bible stories I like are from Genesis 6 and the story of Noah. He was a faithful follower of the Lord, who though others persecuted him and thought him foolish for building the ark, he persisted as the Lord had called him, and the Lord saved him and his family. What a wonderful story of the love of Christ, to save Noah and his family.

Never say you can't read the Bible, because if you can read other books, there is nothing preventing you from reading the Bible-- The Book of Life!

~Emma

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read a lot of it today. I spent most of the time laughinge my *** off. It's even better than the "Book of Morman"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What part did you read? I am very sorry you think it is funny. It is all true. Why can't you accept that? What is holding you back? The lack of scientific proof? Well, science is not everything and it cannot prove everything.

Inactive Member the happy heathen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also some Scriptures and Bible stories I like are from Genesis 6 and the story of Noah. He was a faithful follower of the Lord, who though others persecuted him and thought him foolish for building the ark, he persisted as the Lord had called him, and the Lord saved him and his family. What a wonderful story of the love of Christ, to save Noah and his family.

What a wonderful story?!
    What a truly horrible story about a ruthless dictator God who saw fit to drown all of mankind--including, I presume, elderly people, children, and some unborn fetuses I'm pretty sure Tra would normally be concerned about--because he was having a bad day and got annoyed with his creation. Saying "isn't it wondrous that Noah and his family were saved?" is like saying "isn't it great that two people survived that tornado that wiped out a whole town?" Or it's like saying, "oh, what a loving father, to spare his one favorite child after he killed off the rest of 'em."

Please!

Then there's that "beautiful" story about Abraham and Isaac. In this one, God, like some bully of a mob boss, come up with a sadistic test of Abe's loyalty and tells him he has to kill his only son, Isaac. Abe, being a spineless twit, says "well okay, boss" and drags Isaac over to the altar. But Lo! Turns out God's just having some fun, playing a little practical joke. He stops the murder just before the knife hits Isaac's chest, says "Just kidding, Abe! Haw haw, just messin' with you there!"

Is that an example of God's wondrous love? If you think so, I'm afraid your definition of love is pretty screwed up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

God has a perfect plan, and though you don't see it, we can trust that His will is what is best for all of us in the long run.

What you don't seem to understand is that God is perfect and we are not. We deserve to be killed off and to go to **** ... H e l l. God is gracious and good and gave us life anyway. Everything He does is perfect. He is such a good God. [img]smile.gif[/img] He died for us and rose again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Love is patient, love is kind. It doesnot envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    ~1 Corinthians 13:4-7

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
    ~1 John 4:16

THAT is my definition of love.

Inactive Member the happy heathen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's some lovely, meaningless poetry there, Tra, but how do you reconcile that greeting card smarm with all the truly ugly stories in the bible?

And I am talking about the ugly things GOD does in your holy book, not things people do.

Going back to Abe & Isaac, please answer me: how is God not a total j/erk in this story? Funny, I thought "thou shalt not kill" was a moral absolute. I have NO respect for a God who turns around and says to one of his followers "thou shalt not kill--well, unless I'm in a mood on Tuesday and suddenly decide to tell you you MUST kill your own kid that day. Then you'd better do it! And hey, ya know what? I think I'll off my own son while I'm at it, too."

I know you won't answer my question here--you'll just spout another glazed-eyed it's God's plan yay God yay Jesus He's so perfect He's so dreamy Amen at me. But maybe a thinking person is reading this board and they might get something out of what I'm saying.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by the happy heathen:
    That's some lovely, meaningless poetry there, Tra, but how do you reconcile that greeting card smarm with all the truly ugly stories in the bible?

And I am talking about the ugly things GOD does in your holy book, not things people do.

Going back to Abe & Isaac, please answer me: how is God not a total j/erk in this story? Funny, I thought "thou shalt not kill" was a moral absolute. I have NO respect for a God who turns around and says to one of his followers "thou shalt not kill--well, unless I'm in a mood on Tuesday and suddenly decide to tell you you MUST kill your own kid that day. Then you'd better do it! And hey, ya know what? I think I'll off my own son while I'm at it, too."

I know you won't answer my question here--you'll just spout another glazed-eyed it's God's plan yay God yay Jesus He's so perfect He's so dreamy Amen at me. But maybe a thinking person is reading this board and they might get something out of what I'm saying.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just reading the story of Abraham and Isaac today, and was yet again reminded how God truly cares for his people. If you start at the beginning of the story, you will note that Abraham and his wife Sarah were barren, but God blessed them with a child Isaac in their old age. God was not being a "total **** " by having Abraham sacrifice his son, but he was testing his servant Abraham, to see if he truly loved the Lord his God. Which he did, otherwise he would not have sacrificed his son. While it may be hard for you to believe that someone could kill their own son, we are to put God, even before our own relatives. This may be a hard concept to grasp, but it is the one and only truth. Abraham showed his loyalty to God, in being willing to sacrifice his son, that is what God was doing. Testing his servant. Abraham passed the "test" and his son was spared, and an alternate sacrifice was provided. Also, if you read more closely does it say that Isaac, his son, was "flailing his arms, pleading not to be killed!"? NO!! He was willing to do what the Lord had commanded as this was the plan the Lord had for him, and he accepted it, knowing it was right!

~Emma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast