Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people always think Christians are judgemental?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel that most Christians are of a "hate the sin and not the sinner" policy. At least I am. Today in class I had a teacher ask us to write a poem from the point of view of someone we hated... I guess she wanted us to get a different point of view...and I couldn't think of anyone I hated. (I ended up writing the poem from the point of view of someone I didn't agree with beliefs-wise.)

What do you all think?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 16, 2006 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are lots of outgoing Christians who are very judgemental. They make the news, so they have a lot to do with the opinions people form of Christians. A lot of Christians I know are also very condescending which isn't an attractive quality in anyone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, there are going to be Christians who have problems...we're all sinners. But most Christians I know have an "I'm a sinner, too" belief.

My question is...do you (and others) see Christians as condescending because we only believe that our religion is the right and only right religion in the whole wide world? Because that's in the Bible. John 14:6. And that belief is the right one...because it's in the Bible.

Is there another way a Christian has been condescending?

Thanks for your comments and keep posting!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heh, well, that comment does rather come across badly, but it's not what I was thinking of. Maybe it's just a coincidence in the people I know. But they seem to think all their beliefs are better than others. I've seen it in issues reguarding education. It's like they somehow know all the answers to everything and no other solution could possibly be right. But maybe it's not a coicidence. One probably needs to think this way in order to believe in Christianity or other similar religions. (I just see it in Christians since this country is overrun with them.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Christians I know are no worse than anybody else in the "I'm right in this situation" category. I find most Christians to be more open-minded than non-Christians. Non-Christians are out there judging Christians all the time, while Christians hate the sin and not the sinner. Also: there is a difference between being closed-minded and being sure of your beliefs. Just because you aren't willing to flip-flop on your beliefs at all in any way doesn't mean you aren't open minded. I am just really tired of people telling me I'm closed minded. I'm just sure of what I know, and that will never ever change!

You don't need to have any specific method of thinking to be a Christian. You just have to be willing to follow thed Lord Jesus Christ. We try to do His will in all ways. There's absolutely nothing nothing nothing wrong with that. It's actually a good, no the best, thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 19, 2006 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think when people say Christians are closed-minded, they're not implying that Christians should give up their beliefs, or not believe in them strongly. They're implying Christians don't try to understand other people's beliefs as well. One can understand other's beliefs without having to believe in them or give up their own. I guess there is a bit of a problem there, though, since Christian belief is that nothing else matters.

In my case, the biggest problem I have with Christians is that they want to take away people's freedom and their right to be themselves. I am fine with each person carrying their own beliefs. I think it's great they have them, and fine if they want to try to teach others the 'correct' way of doing things. But making laws that don't allow others to have any choice over their own lives is wrong in my mind. I wish Christians could accept that not everyone is like them. That's *fine* if they think others are going to **** , Christians just need to let them!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why would we want to let anyone go to **** ? It's a horrible place! A lake of burning sulfur? You would have us hate others enough to let them go there?

We don't want to take away people's freedom and right to be themselves, we just want to show them the right way. It's when they don't believe in God that they're not being themselves...they're being slaves to sin, and only with Christ can they be set free.

When I want to understand other people's beliefs, I do, but when I don't, I don't. That's no different than anyone else, Christian or not.

Since when is the Christian belief that nothing else matters? Explain what you mean by that.

I know others are not like me. You seem to imply that all Christians are the same. We're not. We have differing beliefs, though not in the essentials, and we have different customs, cultures, colors, races, ethinicities, etc.

I guess we'll always be seen as bad and wrong because we're sure of our beliefs and that we're right and we love others enough to want them to believe what we do.

We never force anyone to be Christian. It's always a choice. We just want laws that protect the innocent who are too young to make choices (the unborn, the children, people that might be influenced to do wrong, etc.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Tra:
    (A)Why would we want to let anyone go to **** ? It's a horrible place! A lake of burning sulfur? You would have us hate others enough to let them go there?

(B)We don't want to take away people's freedom and right to be themselves, we just want to show them the right way. It's when they don't believe in God that they're not being themselves...they're being slaves to sin, and only with Christ can they be set free.

(C)When I want to understand other people's beliefs, I do, but when I don't, I don't. That's no different than anyone else, Christian or not.

(D)Since when is the Christian belief that nothing else matters? Explain what you mean by that.

(E)I know others are not like me. You seem to imply that all Christians are the same. We're not. We have differing beliefs, though not in the essentials, and we have different customs, cultures, colors, races, ethinicities, etc.

(F)I guess we'll always be seen as bad and wrong because we're sure of our beliefs and that we're right and we love others enough to want them to believe what we do.

(G)We never force anyone to be Christian. It's always a choice. We just want laws that protect the innocent who are too young to make choices (the unborn, the children, people that might be influenced to do wrong, etc.)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I added letters to the above quote in order to reference certain points. I would have used brackets (the correct quote-editting symbol) but I was afraid it would mess up the UBB code.

(A) I thought part of being human was having free will. So shouldn't people have free will to go to **** if they want to? It's not hating someone to let them make a concious choice.

There are homosexuals who believe they are not sinning and who believe in God/Jesus. Where do they fit into the whole Christian thing? This references points (B) and (E). (E) Are they one of your varieties of Christians?

(C) This seems to contradict a previous post that stated, "I find most Christians to be more open-minded than non-Christians." This implied that you thought Christians were better about understanding others. Now you're saying they're no better. I'm confused.

(D) I was thinking along the lines of the belief that the Bible is the ultimate truth (and all that matters), and everything else is wrong. Any other religion or thought process or act that contradicts it is wrong and there for matters no more than the fact that's it's sin (which I see that attitude as giving the thing no worth).

(F)Pretty much. Your idea of love is not the same as many others'.

(G)Where does laws against homosexual marriage come into this? Are those people "influenced to do wrong"? So all homosexuals are just lacking the ability to make decisions about their sexual orientation by themselves and that's why they're homosexual?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the Bible is the ultimate Truth, so you have a point there.

When I say Christians are more open-minded than others, I meant that they are not constantly judging people like non-Christians are constantly judging Christians.

Homosexuals make the choice to sin just like anyone else. Innocent people are always hurt when others choose to sin. Children they might adopt or influence, etc.

People DO have free will to go to **** ... that doesn't mean they should or that we should stop trying to get them to see the Truth. Unfortunately, people go to **** all the time...always of their own free will.

Sanguinarius

Originally posted by Tra:
    ...When I say Christians are more open-minded than others, I meant that they are not constantly judging people like non-Christians are constantly judging Christians......
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is because of comments like this that many are judgemental.

Christians will always be condemmed. That will never change. It is the nature of the belief. We shall always be pursecuted. We need to accept it and move on.

We have no right to make choices for others. Heavenly Fathers great plan set it so that we had the freedom to choose. With those choices he set the consequences. I may never agree with the choices people make. All I can do is remember that they have the same freedoms that Heavenly Father sent me here with.

When you think of how you are judged just think about the lesbian at work YOU yourself are cringing at for the choices they make.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast