Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people always think Christians are judgemental?

Sanguinarius

The bible was not fallible. Man was fallible.

The scriptures are infallible so far as they are translated properly. With the changing of those texts the translations take on new meaning. What says man to you might mean woman to another.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra, some things in the Bible directly contradict each other. I agree with you that the Bible is a great teaching tool. It provides examples for us to lead exemplary lives.

However, there are things in the Bible that are just plain... wrong. I majored in Religious Studies in college and closely read texts in their original Greek. Many of the texts have been misinterpreted.

For example, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, frequently cited as an example of the Bible's alleged condemnation of homosexuality, isn't about that at all. Rather, the moral of the story is that angels and humanity must not mix. I find it abhorrent that some Christians will cite Sodom and Gomorrah- in so doing they imply that it is perfectly okay offer one's virgin daughters to be raped. I find this disgusting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe that God guided the hand of everyone who had any part in the writing, compiling, or translating of the Bible. Thus, it is perfect and infallible.

Handmaid--no one in their right mind would say it is ok for anyone to offer up their virgin daughters to be raped. No one, is saying that. Sodom and Gamorrah may not have been destroyed solely because of homosexuality, but it was part of it.
    I prefer to cite Romans 1:18-32 to say homosexuality is wrong.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, the mainstream of society encounters many Christians through the media. I am not blaming the media or Christians for this, but sometimes the most inflammatory people make for the best stories. This is why many people may think of Christians as judgmental, with fire and brimstone preachers judging us from our televisions, our newspapers, telling us everything thing we do is wrong.
    I have known many Christians who are not judgmental. I think perhaps one of my biggest problems with Christians is when they attempting to push their religion on to me. If I politely decline to have any interest in your religion, please accept that and move on. Do not tell me I am going to **** (as people have phrased it on this board), that I live in sin, or whatever else my failings in your eyes may be. Whatever you tell me will not convince me to change my mind.
    What I personally find condescending of Christians is the constant use of scripture to prove their points. If I don't believe the bible is the "word of god", why would I read that verse and suddenly declare, "O, you're right, I see it all now"? Judaism has been around thousands of years longer than Christianity. Islam developed out of both Judaism and Christianity. Protestantism developed out of Christianity due to feelings that the church was not living up to its duties. I don't think any group can say, "We're completely right about religion." You can believe it, and I respect your belief, but there have been too many evolutions throughout religion's history to determine or decide that ONE is perfect, all meaning correct religion. After all, god spoke to founding members of all religions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Perstephanie:

What I personally find condescending of Christians is the constant use of scripture to prove their points. If I don't believe the bible is the "word of god", why would I read that verse and suddenly declare, "O, you're right, I see it all now"? Judaism has been around thousands of years longer than Christianity. Islam developed out of both Judaism and Christianity. Protestantism developed out of Christianity due to feelings that the church was not living up to its duties. I don't think any group can say, "We're completely right about religion." You can believe it, and I respect your belief, but there have been too many evolutions throughout religion's history to determine or decide that ONE is perfect, all meaning correct religion. After all, god spoke to founding members of all religions.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right on Steph!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What you need to understand is that we DO believe the Bible is the Word of God. When I use the Bible to prove my points, I am showing you the ultimate, highest authority I can possibly think of to say what I want to say. I'm telling you why I believe a certain way. I understand that using the Bible to prove things to non-Christians is not always going to work, but I'm simultaneously trying to prove something to you and show you why I believe what I believe. Using the Bible accomplishes at the very least that latter goal.

Inactive Member WritersRhapsody's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I admit, though raised Catholic, I am starting anew in my walk with Christ. One of the problems I've faced is saying there is only ONE truth, as told in the Bible..because that means that some people are going to **** . But that doesn't mean it's not true. I can have a problem with the sky being blue but that won't make it change colors!

I think one thing that throws some people off when debating a Christian is how certain we are that our faith and Bible are the Truth. Even I find this hard to reconcile sometimes, but I trust God to help me work it all out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So true, WritersRhapsody! [img]smile.gif[/img]

ValentineWiggin

I've been thinking about faith. I want to pose a question. Is the single most important element of your (directed at everyone) faith belief in the historic event of the Crucifixion of a Person (applies both to man and God) named Jesus/Emmanuel and his subsequent resurrection? There are people who would never call themselves Christian who can accept this historic event. Or, is your faith rather based on the belief in a God who would suffer the greatest pain to bring you one moment of joy? I don't believe that a person's faith ought to be rooted in the Bible. What if you were illiterate? Can an illiterate person have faith? There are saints who couldn't read a book to save their lives. I believe, rather that a person's faith comes out of a part of each person that ties them to God. Certainly the Bible can serve as a life guide, but any book, however Holy, can be tampered with, tainted, twisted, and misunderstood. On the other hand, God made me. There was no middle man in that. No one can tamper with me except for me. I trust in God to have made in me the key to knowing him. My "religion" is the external thing that helps me to keep myself focused on God. I go to Church for the joy of being with other people who want to be close to God. I read the Bible to learn about the relationship between Man and God as it has been for millennia. I believe the God sent his Son to die that I might know His love, not that I might exclude people from the Kingdom of love. He or she who loves and serves God is my brother in faith, however they might choose to worship.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting question.
    I've never really thought about what my faith was rooted in. I suppose it is based on Scripture (which says: Romans 10:9-10. "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." Thus the root of salvation (and my faith)is belief in Christ. Also John 14:6 "I am the way and the trueth and the life: No man commeth unto the father, but by me.") Faith can be rooted in the Word of God, which can be written in the Bible, spoken to people, and written on the hearts of the believers who are filled with the Holy Spirit but it is ultimately rooted in the belief in Christ as mentioned above in the HOly Word of God. (Which has not been tampered with, tainted, or corrupted.)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 04, 2006 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast