Thread: Beliefs, Religions, and American Girls...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What religion and beliefs do you see each American Girl doll as having?

We know Lindsey is Jewish, and I assume Josefina is Catholic. Kaya believes in something else (I haven't read her books, so I'm not sure what.) All of the other girls celebrate Christmas, but not everyone who celebrates Christmas is a Christian.

Personally, I give all my dolls Christian beliefs and say that they all celebrate Christmas because they are Christians. If I were to get Kaya or Lindsey (I probably won't, though) I would say they converted later in life after their books were written.

Of course, the AGT's all have their own personalities. What do your dolls believe?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thinking of forcing Kaya to convert makes me so sad.

I assume all the dolls with books to be some form of Christian because that is most commonly what people in this country are and were.

My AGTs have religions only if they're based on characters or people who had them. I haven't developed my other AGTs enough to give them religions.

Really, they're all supposed to be 9/10 and so are too young to really think about religion on their own. They would just practice whatever their parents do.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think 10 is too young to develop your own beliefs. I was baptized at 11. I didn't know then what I know now, but I did know enough to believe what I believe. My friend chose to be a Christian at 12 even though her parents weren't Christian.

As to Kaya, if I were to get her it wouldn't be a forced conversion. She'd just meet a missionary and choose...choose...to become Christian after hearing what he has to say. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

10 and 12 is a big difference. From what I've been taught, it's not until age 12 that people develop the ability to think abstractly for themselves, like in the case of religion.

MissCurlyCat

Originally posted by Tra: Kaya believes in something else (I haven't read her books, so I'm not sure what.)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've read her books. But she worships a few different earth type gods, I think. The books don't say much about it other than that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have Marisol as catholic my DD is having first communion coming up and so is Marisol They both got matching dresses. We didn't have Linday or Kaya so I have never really thought of their affiliation. Our other girls Kit, felicty, Addy, Josefina, Samantha and I have always thought of them as Christians , my daughter thinks of them as specifically Catholic as she has told them they will all have a turn to wear the dress when it's their first communion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, Kaya believes in Hun-Ya-Wat, I believe the deity is called. She also recognizes and acknowledges the spirits in the earth around her.

I find it somewhat disturbing to think of Kaya converting. I don't think that she would have encountered any Europeans until quite late in her life. Those missionaries that eventually came to that area where not the most wonderful people.

Sadly, many Native Americans suffered at the hands of supposedly well-intentioned missionaries- including having their feet and hands chopped off if they refused to convert.

Inactive Member WritersRhapsody's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, some of my girls are not Christians, but they all believe in some form of God. The main characters in two of my favorite books "The Mists of Avalon" and "Memoirs of a Geisha" are not Chritstian, so my dolls based off them Chiyo, AGT4 and Morgaine AGT25, are like the characters in the books were at that age. But it's fantasy, so I don't see too much harm.

That being said, as a Catholic I find Josefina's books very interesting to see what beliefs Catholics held in that region and time period. And my Marisol is also a Catholic. My other girls are just plain ol' Christians, though Addy is a Baptist.