Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't view marriage as a religious issue. It's a civil thing. And if two people aren't happy together, there is absolutely no reason that they should remain together. You can't necessarily work everything out.

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra, you're fine. Keep "spouting" away. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, I don't think divorce is right except that I do remember in the Bible it did say somewhere that if there is infedelity in your marriage you are allowed to leavce the person because they have ruined the sanctity of your marriage...or something like that.

Otherwise divorce is wrong. I mean, if you really love someone, you should be able to love them forever. Thats what love is. It is not a "for now" type of thing. I undertsand that people grow and change over time, but that doesn't mean that they can't still love eachother and get along. I think that most people who get divorced, just do it because they didn't put the hard work into saving their marriage. I thin kthat if you get married it is a hard thing that takes work. You have to put a lot into it for it to work. Too many people today think that marriage is all lovey-dovey and fun and when things get hard they aren't willing to put the work into it.

Oh, and marriage is a rligious ceremony. I'm not syaing that atheiists shouldn't get married, I have not ever thought about that so I don't want to give an opinion on it yet, BUt I think they should consider everything carefully because it IS a religious ceremony. Whether or not you believe in God, a wedding is a religious ceremony and everybody knows you're making the vows to God.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Divorce has kept a roof over my head throughout childhood. My dad is a family lawyer, specializing in: adoptions, divorces, mediations, custody, etc. My mom is a marriage counselor. Go figure [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have no plans of getting divorced, nor my husband. We stand firm on it-and fully agree that especially when we have kids, it shouldn't happen. However, for abuse and other things-I do agree with it.

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to take issue with the statement that marriage is *only* a religious ceremony. It's not. It's also a civil contract that bestows rights- over 1000 rights.

There are thousands of couples who are married civilly without ever having a religious ceremony. All couples who are legally married in the US get these rights, even if they did not have a religious ceremony or even a religion.

I am not saying that religious groups should have to start performing weddings for homosexual couples. I am saying that all people should have equal access to rights under the law- the civil, secular law.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Isn't marriage and a wedding different? Marriage is a legal (and can be religious) contract, but a wedding is just a celebration. Wedding traditions are based in religion, even though many of those traditions have become secularized. So I would think a wedding is pretty much religious, but a marriage doesn't have to be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would agree on the difference between weddings and civil marriage. Gay and lesbian couples can already have weddings, just not civil marriage (except in Massachusetts).

I firmly believe in equal rights. Same sex couples should (and do, I believe, according to the 14th Amendment) have the right to civil marriage. Civil marriage is a secular contract.

Transexuals already have the right to marry. It's pretty much the one privilege transexuals have over non-trans gay men and lesbians.

Sweet_Sweet_Goo

Let gay people get married. The sooner they're married the sooner they'll get a divorce like female/male couples nowadays do.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sweet_Sweet_Goo:
    Let gay people get married. The sooner they're married the sooner they'll get a divorce like female/male couples nowadays do.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a bit rude, isn't it? Actually, many conservatives are supportive of marriage equality because they see it as a step affirming traditional *family* values. They think that allowing gay men and lesbians will prevent promiscuity. It's an interesting argument, but I don't know if it's altogether valid. After all, heterosexuals can get married but they're hardly all faithful within those marriages.

The thing that upsets me is that some people seem to think that gay men and lesbians aren't "good enough" to get married. We should we be held to a higher standard?

If gay men and lesbians do divorce, that's fine. It doesn't mean they'll stop being gay just because they broke up with one specific partner!

MissCurlyCat

Originally posted by The Handmaid: </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sweet_Sweet_Goo:Let gay people get married. The sooner they're married the sooner they'll get a divorce like female/male couples nowadays do.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a bit rude, isn't it? Actually, many conservatives are supportive of marriage equality because they see it as a step affirming traditional *family* values. They think that allowing gay men and lesbians will prevent promiscuity. It's an interesting argument, but I don't know if it's altogether valid. After all, heterosexuals can get married but they're hardly all faithful within those marriages.The thing that upsets me is that some people seem to think that gay men and lesbians aren't "good enough" to get married. We should we be held to a higher standard? If gay men and lesbians do divorce, that's fine. It doesn't mean they'll stop being gay just because they broke up with one specific partner!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not that you aren't "Good enough" it's that we're a little afraid of what might happen if you do. If a women marries a women or a man marries a man then people might want to get married to an animal like a dog for exsample. I'm not comparing *you* to a dog, only the situation. The person that wants to marry the dog might tell us "Well you let same sex people get married!".Things might get a little out of control. Of course as usual you will say some thing syndical about my veiws but thats okay....I guess.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How can a person and a dog form an emotional relationship anywhere near what two people can form? The dog is not capable. Saying that homosexual marriage can lead to a person trying to marry an animal implies that you believe marriage is only about sex.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast