Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why do non-Christians say to Christians when they're talking about, say, a product that "You don't have to buy it if it offends you." But if the Christians put out a product that promotes their religion and it offends someone its "intolerant" or "pushy"? [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]

HB Forum Owner Miss_Nellie_OMalley's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, it isn't only non christans who say this. Not all Christan Denominations agree... and because of this... what is a wrong product for you might not be for the church down the street.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most Christian denominations agree on the fundamentals. IF they are Bible-believing (which means they believe in the whole Bible and everything it says) then they will follow the Bible and there's no problem.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The problem is Bible believing Christians disagree about what the Bible means/says. I didn't say this - Billy Graham did in Newsweek this week! And he certainly believes the Bible.

I might read one passage and get an entirely different meaning than another Christian. We need to realize that it is ok to think about and disucss what the Bible means.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh I beg to differ... see you view everything as black or white... but its not the problem with what's in the bible... that everyone has the same copy of the bible... but how people interpret the verse. For example, Church of Christ believes that you have to be completely immursed in water to be baptised... while prespyterians (excuse spelling) believe that sprinkling new borns is acceptable.

Then you go to catholics who believe that man is not saved by grace alone... because faith without works is dead... and Calvinist protestants believe that it is by grace alone in the absense of works that one is saved... We can go to predestination... penance... all the way back to the Hebrews with the prayer shawl... and having excluded the blue strand (even though thats what the Lord commanded) because the 12 tribes couldn't agree what shade of blue it should be.

Just because we all have the same copy of the same book doesn't mean we are all reading the same thing into it.

I mean there are Christians out there who do not even believe Jesus is God but actually the archangel Michael... and that Jesus is only divine as an angelic host is divine. That would be a jehovah witness.

So no... there are no fundamentals that everyone can agree on... not even the basic ten commandments.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I'm talking about true Christians. People who don't believe Jesus is God the Son are not true Christians.

Yes, I see what you mean about the Bible being interpreted differently, and there are some little thigns that we disagree on. However, true Christians agree on the basics.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Though I agree that having a discussion on the Bible is a good thing.

Also: What does this have to do with my original post? Christians (whatever their denomination) are always being accused of being "intolerant" "pushy" "tactless" or some other equally untrue thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You throw the words "True christian around" precariously. I mean HOW DO YOU KNOW that your branch of christianity is right? How do you know that your interpretation is right?! By jewish tradtion (as in the days of moses... when God actually spoke to people physically) the age of reasoning was 19... I'm pretty sure you aren't 19. Unless I can call you Sammuel and you are a child prodagy where God has physically spoken with you and sat you down by a burning bush and revieled His many secrets... you do not... will not know for certain.

You my child are a PROTESTant.. which means that your beliefs are the result of a PROTEST from another branch of Christianity... that would be Catholisisim. Denominations sake off beliefs every other day it seems like.

The best you can do is try to follow you heart... and interpret God's word as best you can... and PRAY that you have interpreted correctly...

I have a pleathra of biblical knowledge under my belt... but not even I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt whose right and whose wrong... the only thing you can do is take the bible literally and follow it to a tee... which is humanly impossible... Only two men have ever existed on this earth perfect... that was Adam... and he fell... and Jesus Christ... whom was God himself... not you, me, the pope or even Billy Graham

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First of all, I'm non-Denominational. I believe in the original Christianity (which, contrary to popular belief, was not Catholicism) and try to follow Jesus as best I can.

I know that what I believe is right because I have faith. I have faith that Jesus is the Son of God and faith that everything in the Bible is true and I have faith that I am interpreting it correctly through the Holy Spirit which God gave all believers. If you are not sure of your beliefs, what good are they?

So, does that mean that no one's opinion counts until they are 19? (I will not tell you my age as I feel it is unsafe to do so on the internet.)

I am SURE I'm not perfect. I may even have some things wrong. But I'm not talkign about those. I'm talkig about the fundamentals...the BIG things that all Christians agree on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not saying that I do not have faith... but I don't doubt that the genuine faith that others who don't see eye to eye with me have.

If with all my heart I believe that God ment for us to be baptised by being completly immersed in water...and that my faith in this is strong enough to risk my life

And (hypothetically) you believe that baptisim must be done as an infant and you must be sprinkled... and you believe this with all your heart and that your faith is so strong where you would risk your life...

Who is right? Who has more faith?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast