Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't mean something is right just because the most people believe it the most strongly. Something is right because God says so. Because it IS, in other words. I have faith that I know what this right thing is.

One could have faith that the sky is hot pink all day and believe that with all their hearts...doesn't make it true.

HB Forum Owner Miss_Nellie_OMalley's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As for what this has to do with the original post: This all started because you thought all christians shared the same belief about being taught to "deal with it and not buy a product"

My point was saying that no some christians say the same thing... its not the pagans of the world alone... then we got off on a tangent about just how much christians butt heads and can't agree on things.

And to clarify what I was saying as for as whose right and whose wrong...w e aren't gonna know until the day we are before God and we ask him point blank and we hear the answer from his lips... and that's if he finds us even worthy of being in his presence... because He who has ears listen.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I didn't see your point then. No, I didn't mean it was just the unsaved who said that. But mostly when a person who agrees with the mainstream (the unsaved) puts out somethign offensive to Christians, they'll say something like "deal with it and just don't buy it". But those same people will say "that's so offensive, intolerant, tactless, and pushy" if a Christian tries to promote their religion...no matter what denomination of Christianity they are from.

Some things we won't know until we ask God about them, true. But other things we know now without a doubt...like God exists, Jesus is His Son, the Bible is His Word, etc.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 07, 2006 03:35 AM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Miss_Nellie! Glad to hear from you. You seem to have a lot to contribute. Thanks for filling me in on the Jehovah's Witnesses, I wondered what their quirk was.

Tra, it doesn't mean that being under 19 makes one's opinion not count. It means that one has no opinion to be counted at all! Like people can't compare armpit hair length until they've begun to grow it.

IMO, before people form opinions of their own, they hold the opinions elders have given them. While I learned that the age people begin to think critically is 12, I think the point at which people form their opinions depends heavily on who a person is and their life experiences. Someone who has had to struggle for their own existence and thus has experienced many things may begin to form their own opinions at 10. Basically their fight has forced the brain to mature quicker. Those who live very sheltered lives, or just mature slower, could take until 20 to be able to form their own opinions. And I'm talking about moral, social, religious, and other such deep opinions. A 2-year-old can have opinions on what cereals she prefers. I know a 22-year-old who hasn't matured enough to truly form his own opinions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with everything you've said Sarah.

As for Christians not being able to get away with the same thing another religion might (such as public prayer)... its partly our own fault... We've put a bad taste in people's mouths... How many other religions go door to door like an encylapidia sales man? Most Chrisitians don't really listen to the people they are trying to convert? No matter what they say our snappy combacks are "Jesus is Lord... REPENT AND BE SAVED!"

Well that isn't gonna convert anyone... its like a Satanist walking up to you and have them use your same converting speech expet use satan as the deity... You definatly aren't gonne listen and you definatly aren't gonna convert.

Everyone a Christian speaks to who is not blanketed under his or her own faith, believes their morals and deity is THE right morals and deity. 99% of the time Chrisitians don't take that into account... for some reason we live with the delusion that THEY know they are wrong... and if I just hit them over the head with it a few times... they'll turn that new leaf...

Instead we create contempt and some times down right hatered.

This is why its acceptable to have Baal dance across the TV screen during a Jerry Springer episode... Baal hasn't told us we are going to **** ... Baal hasn't tried to convert us... Baal hasn't told us we were wrong and he was right without any proof... and Baal sure as H-E-double hocky sticks doesn't come to our house uninvited and bang on the front door for 15 minutes... Because of this the world might just tolerate Baal

Don't get me wrong... I believe we are right... but what good is all that cosmic knowledge when we don't use any sentence combination other than:
    "I'm right" "You are going to **** " "That's wrong"

Because we know each of us would just be tripping over ourselves to have someone say that to us!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I, too, think opinions are formed at different ages for different people. I don't, however, discount other people's opinions because they haven't reached a certain age. My opinions are very strong and very sure, yet I am young. These opinions are my own...what I've gotten from reading the Bible, etc. I do agree that our opinions have some basis on what we were taught growing up and who we were. That doesn't make our opinions any less valid.

I don't think it's fair to blame Christians for doing what God said. The Great Commission is to make disciples of every nation. Some people just don't necessarily know how to do that. Lots of Christians have great arguements for why they should believe in Christ. Most Christians don't go around saying "I'm right, you're wrong, covert or die." We can acknowledge other people's beliefs without giving in to them. There is no chance ***insert religion other than Christianity here*** is right. We must be respectful of their beliefs in a certain way, but we don't have to say, "Maybe you're right..." because that isn't so.

As for Baal dances...is that true... [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img] Scary. How can something evil be more acceptable than something good?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've never really seen Baal dance on jerry springer just a hypothetical idea.

Why is evil accepted and good rejected? Evil is easy. It doesn't demand anything OF you... its conviniant.

As for Christians who have that attitude... you yourself come across in this manner. I've spoken with alot of christians on AG message boards and they agree too..

You don't have to give acceptance or even tolerate immoral practices... But it never ends there. This isn't ment as an attack just the blunt truth of how you come across. You don't care who you try to convert... you treat everyone with the same contempt... its harsh but reality..89% of things you say come across as self-righteous... and that's not the way to get ANYONE to listen to your message.

I think you have a good heart and are trying to do what you think is right... but I think you need to re-evaluate your stratagy of "doing"

Pick your battles carefully, not even Christ himself rose to every ploy the Pharisees threw at him... neither should we.

ButtercupFlibble

Christians (whatever their denomination) are always being accused of being "intolerant" "pushy" "tactless" or some other equally untrue thing.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Possibly because some of them are?

I've never in my life had a friend that was Hindu, Jewish, Wiccan, or Buddhist try to tell me that I was going to go to burn for all eternity* for disagreeing with their spiritual views.

I've never had anyone from any of the above religions knock on the door when I'm still half asleep and shove pamphlets at me.

I know some very nice people who are Christian. I've also met a number of Christians who are jerks. The two are not mutually exclusive.

* I find it odd that on a Christian discussion board, it's automaticalyl censored if you refer to "heck" (as in the place).

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 08, 2006 01:19 AM: Message edited by: ButtercupFlibble ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra, I don't think blunt is the best way to describe your problem. The problem is that you tend to state something you perceive as fact in one or two sentences without any explanation. Most times, many people do not agree with your perceived fact, and the lack of explanation leaves no room for discussion or understanding. This is the worst when you reply to someone in this manner. It appears that you have not even bothered to think about what they are trying to say. So I guess you have a lack of wordiness that comes across as flaming.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by ButtercupFlibble:
    * I find it odd that on a Christian discussion board, it's automaticalyl censored if you refer to "heck" (as in the place).

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 08, 2006 01:19 AM: Message edited by: ButtercupFlibble ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think HB censors that automatically. It's not on my list of "additional censored words"...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast