Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

I am 34 years old and just gave birth to my first child back in June. I had a complicated pregnancy with pre-ruptured membranes at 25 weeks, bed-rest to 35 weeks, then was enduced. After 10 hours it was decided to give me a c-section, following which my husband and I were very relieved to finally deliver our baby girl. However, after that it was discovered that my placenta had attached itself to my uterus (which had not previously been detected) and I was hemmoriging. I had to be put out and woke in recovery in alot of pain as I was still bleeding and was told I needed a blood transfusion. My doctor said I had to have another surgery to stop the bleeding and if a couple of things failured that they were going to do, then I would need a hystorectomy. I woke again in recovery to be told I had to have the hystorectomy. This news hit my husband and I very hard as we were planning on having more children. I am very thankful for my beautiful healthy daughter, but still am having a hard time accepting the hystorectomy. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar situation or if anyone knows alot about this condition. I would love to hear from you...

Thanks,

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi- I am very sorry to hear about you having to have a hysterectomy with so little notice/knowledge/preparedness! I am facing a similar situation in which I was diagnosed with having placenta accreta, which is when the placenta attaches itself to the uterine wall. My doctor says it is nothing to worry about, but in all that I have been reading, there is a lot to worry about. I am only 28, have two beautiful boys, and a girl on the way. I want another child, and would be completely devastated if I were to have to have a hysterectomy! I am so afraid of this, and my next appointment isn't until the 20th. I am finding myself attempting to find good things about this condition, but am having a really hard time! No one understands and is not being very supportive. How have you been since?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I feel fine now...however it took me a while to get back on my feet as I did loose alot of blood and was very weak....as far as the hystorectomy goes I have good days and bad...I try to focus more on the positive that I have a healthy little girl and that I am still around as it was touch and go for both of us...I have been told that I was about 2 minutes away from not coming back; however don't let that scare you as my condition was not detected....my doctor started to remove my placenta, not knowing that it was embeded and they ripped my uterus....this will not happen to you as you have already been diagnosed, which gives you alot better chance! My husband and I were planning on having more children but I guess that was not in our cards, and you have to play the cards you were dealt with....however I cannot help but wonder what might have happened if I was properly diagnosed!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, I didn't get any percentages for anything, in fact they haven't told me much about anything. I have another appointment on the 20th, and I am prepared to ask a lot of questions, and would like a lot of answers. All of the stuff I have been reading states that most cases are resolved with a hysterectomy. It doesn't say if they were previously diagnosed or not. It's frustrating! I am glad that you are doing better, and don't forget that the door to adoption is always open!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi ladies!

I am so sorry both of you are having to go through this. As I mentioned in a previous post, Placenta Accreta is virtually impossible to detect unless you are looking for it, and even then without an MRI you can't be really sure. Most cases do end in hysterectomy because of the hemmhoraging. If prepared however, there are things the doctors can do to minimize the hemmhoraging while working on the placenta. In my case, I delivered ******lly and my doctor, brave soul that she is, decided to just leave the placenta in. I was treated with chemotherapy, anti-biotics and cytotek which kept my uterus contracted while the placenta died. I am now two years post partum and just had surgery to remove the scar tissue that the accreta caused. We will hopefully be trying for our second child this summer. You can read my story at www.coachjodi.com (click on Placenta Accreta). I know this board moves kind of slow, but please keep posting and let us know how you are making out.

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your replies, it is good to talk to people who have had similar experiences. I went to the link you mentioned...it was quite a story, you had a hard time as well...I would like to hear how the appointment goes on the 20th....Good Luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am curious, did your doctor give you any percentages of needing a hysterectomy, especially now that it has been detected prior to delivery? Our Province is also not equipped to handle this situation, is your place of residence?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Daniellems28,

How far along are you in your pregnancy? I too was diagnosed with placenta accreta prior to giving birth (2nd preg). My dr arranged to have "balloons" inserted in the veins in my thighs which supply the blood to the uterus. This was to stop the blood flow in case I started to hemmorage. Ask your dr about this procedure at your appt on the 20th. There is always a chance that you may have to have a hysterectomy but it sounds like you and your dr are getting prepared. Having the knowlege before delivery is Everything. My dr was prepared for anything that could happen. I was confident that he was going to do everything in his power to stop any bleeding before needing to do a hysterectomy (we wanted another child). Make sure your dr knows that you want more children.

Good luck to you! Please let us know how your appt goes and what plans you and your dr are making for the best possible outcomes.

-Paige

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Paige- I also answered your post on my original post. I am 23.5 weeks right now, will be 24 when I go to the doctor next week. I will ask the plan of action definitely, because I am not done having children yet. I would like one more. I don't know what I will feel if I end up having a hysterectomy, but I know that depression will be a big emotion. I just don't want to even have to deal with this, and am upset that it's come so early in age.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Affleck,

Wow - it sounds like you went through the wars!

I'm happy that you and your daughter made it through, although I can imagine how difficult the hysterectomy would be to accept, coming as unexpectedly as it did.

I am now 34, was 33 when I had my daughter, who was also my first. I had a placenta increta which was undiagnosed until seven months postpartum. I understand (and share) your frustration with being handed a rare and surprise condition. I too wonder if things could have been better if it had been diagnosed earlier.

Forgive me if this is out of place, but have you gotten any counselling following this experience? Some women report symptoms similar to post traumatic stress disorder after very difficult births and I can imagine the exhaustion and depression you must have experienced postpartum. The anemia would guarantee a slow recovery under any circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast