Thread: Update - it wasn't accreta, it was increta.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Hi everyone. I have some news on my accreta condition. For those of you new to the board, I had my first child almost 9 months ago. I had a postpartum hemmorhage 30 minutes after a c-section. I also had a D&C 7 weeks postpartum for retained tissue. Placenta accreta was not diagnosed until several months later. Interestingly, I didn't need a hysterectomy. Knowing what I know now, that is incredibly lucky. There is still a piece of placenta stuck in the uterus but I stopped spotting about three months ago.

I got the results of my MRI last week. I had a placenta increta, which grew 1.5 cm into the wall of the uterus, leaving only 4 mm at its thinnest point.

My doctor told me that he is still unsure whether to remove the calcified tissue that is there.

The main thing he told me, however, is that any future pregnancy I have will carry a tremendous risk of uterine rupture. There is also a great deal of doubt as to whether I could get pregnant again anyway.

So it looks like Zoe is going to be truly unique. Rough news, but at least I'm healthy and so is Zoe.

Anyone else heard of such a thing? Are there any increta experiences out there?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All is not lost!!! Your doctor should leave the placenta be. I still had a piece 9-12 months post partum. It will eventually reabsorb. My uterine lining was very thin where the placenta had adhered too (I also had increta even though I keep referring to it as accreta)but has since thickened. Your next step will be a sonahistogram. This will give you a better idea as to what is going on inside your uterus. You undoubtedly have scar tissue and a hysteroscopy could be in order to remove as much of it as possible. Lastly, estrogen will make your lining nice and thick. So.......I know this is a lot, and of course I am not a doctor...but one step at a time. Give your body some more time to do it's thing. In a few months (or maybe years depending on your needs) request the sonahistogram and go from there. This is of course, if you want another child.....don't give up!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your story and PLEASE continue to keep us posted!!!!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Jodi. I appreciate your optimism, since I am lacking some of my own. I am very pleased with the daughter I have and will wait and see what happens next with my fertility.

I am really hoping that you have a healthy and happy next pregnancy. It sounds like everything is in place for you and I have my fingers crossed!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zoesmom, I too would like to hear how you are progressing and hope the best for you. Like you, I feel that my daughter "Chelsey" is a miracle child!

Affleck

p.s. I love the name Zoe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Affleck,

Thanks. We thought about the name Chelsea but the name of our village is Chelsea and I thought that would be too cute.

I do think Zoe is perfect in every way. She is a real smiler with a quirky sense of humour and very active. Is currently undergoing an exploring phase where she is into everything. I really did not know motherhood was going to be this wonderful.

Congratulations on your miracle baby. Enjoy every minute you can.