Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any advice appreciated: I'm 41, pregnant with 3rd child (after 17-year break from having babies). Newly married to a man with no children. This is an IVF pregnancy that we desperately want, and we have planned on having 2 children.

I'm 19 wks pregnant and hospitalized with complete placenta previa. Additionally, they suspect accreta based on the anterior position of the placenta and some abnormal vascularity in last week's sonogram. But the MRI didn't show any accreta. 3 of the 4 doctors are insisting that I will lose my uterus during surgery because of accreta; the 4th doctor isn't sure.

Does ANYONE manage to have a usable uterus after this situation? Help!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tessalana,

yes! There is hope! The most important thing is that the doctors are prepared which it sounds like they will be. If you go the route of C section it is possible that the docs can remove the placenta without taking your uterus. You could also choose to deliver ******lly based on the fact that you are not 100% positive that you have an accreta and if you do have the accreta, the docs can leave it it and treat you with methotrexate.....be prepared for a long recovery if this is the case.

Of course, there is always the chance that you could lose your uterus, but it doesn't have to be absolute. Just make sure you and your docs have a clear birth plan before you deliver.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The news got worse after the repeat MRI on Wednesday. There is definitely accreta, and increta, and possibly percreta. The placenta is invading the site of the previous uterine incision, which is very thin.

The doctor's recommendation was that we terminate the pregnancy (we're at 19 wks now), which is completely unacceptable to me. The baby is healthy and very active, and I can't end her life on the off-chance that I may have damage to other organs, someday weeks and weeks away.

Absolutely NO ONE here thinks I'll ever be able to save my uterus now and have another child, ever. They're having me meet with various surgical teams, and they're building up my blood level to prepare for massive hemorrhaging during reocnstructive surgery.

My husband and I have firmly explained that we will not be terminating this pregnancy, and frankly, that it's angering us that the option is being presented to us so often and so cavalierly.

I have contractions when I get upset, and it's proven very hard to keep from being upset, these past few days.

Tess

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tess,

I am sooooo sorry to hear that you have to go through this! I applaud your bravery and commend you for sticking to what you believe in. I so hope everything turns out well for you and will give out positive energy for a safe delivery.

Please keep us posted as things progress!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tess,

I am so sorry. What a nightmare after such effort and such dreams.

Since termination is not an option for you, take a deep breath and look at surgical options and scenarios when you are ready. In the meantime, think about some counselling for both of you since this is an awful lot to shoulder.

My heart goes out to you, your husband and your baby.

Christy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

All is uneventful, finally. I'm lying in my hospital bed, finally contraction-free and with only minimal spotting. My husband I set a "goal" of making it 100 more days, which will put us at 32 weeks. (Of course, longer would be better...but 32 weeks would be GREAT, at this point). So I have 91 more days to go. That's wht we're shooting for. All fingers and toes crossed.

I'm in a good hospital with a high-risk perinatal ward and very wonderful nurses, so that's the good news.

Tess

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tess,

Are you in the hospital for the duration? I'm sending positive vibes your way. Please keep us updated.

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I'm hospitalized for the duration. The docs feel I am at very high risk of preterm labor, and because of the complete previa AND the accreta, I have a good chance of bleeding out before I can get medical help. The fact that my cervix shortened during the last bout of contractions didn't help, either.

Thankfully, the contractions stopped Saturday, and the mild spotting is nearly over. So my case is kind of dull, for now. I just lay here and watch TV and play with the internet.

Tess

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tess,

Dull is good! I'm wishing you a very boring and uneventful next few months. Take care and keep us updated.