Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi. I found out this week I have placenta accreta but won't see my doctor for another week.

I'm happy to have stumbled onto this board in my browsing. Here is my story - forgive me if I put in too much gory detail...

I had a miscarriage followed by a D&C in May 2003. I got pregnant a few months later and experienced a lot of bleeding during my first trimester (5 weeks of it). Zoe was born healthy by c-section six months ago. I hemorrhaged about 30 minutes postpartum but it was brought under control with hemobate. At seven weeks postpartum, I had a D&C to remove retained tissue. Basically, I have been bleeding or spotting ever since Zoe's birth. After two ultrasounds that said I had something in my uterus but it wasn't placenta, I had a special ultrasound (EMS??) involving injecting saline into the uterus and the doctor told me that I have a 3.5 cm chunk of dead placental tissue and it is stuck there. Beta levels taken last week were at zero.

My brief survey of the internet tells that this condition is most typically treated by hysterectomy but your stories sound more optimistic. What can I expect next?

Thanks for any advice or insights,

Christy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Christy,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I usually check the board everyday but it has been a hectic week. Anyway.....NO WORRIES!!!!! Placenta Accreta is treated with hysterectomy only when they cannot control the hemmhoraging at birth. You are way past that point and should definitly be able to get through this without a hysterectomy. Since the placental tissue is already dead, your docs should just keep an eye on you and scan (ultrasound) you until it is minimal. Hey, it was 2 years on 10/21 and I still have a 1cmx2cm piece in my uterus. Most of it will just reabsorb. Are you planning on having more children?

Keep us posted!!!!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Jodi. That's very encouraging. I'm going to see my doctor on Wednesday. Any advice on what questions to ask?

I don't know if I want more children yet. I am still waiting for the dust to settle on my latest experience. I have had a pretty hard time with this pregnancy and don't know if I can go through it again. I certainly want to retain the option, though, if I can.

Christy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Christy,

Darn! Missed your post again! How did the doctor's appointment go today? What did he say? Has the bleeding stopped yet? Have they tested your iron or hemoglobin?

Your doctor might want to do another D&C to get the rest of the placenta out. Ask him if he is okay with waiting 3-6months to see how much of it reabsorbs or potentially comes out on its own. In the meantime, make sure you are getting enough iron if you are still bleeding.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The dr. appointment today was very interesting. The dr. has never seen a case like mine (how exciting to be exceptional). The ultrasound does not indicate the degree to which the placenta grew into the uterine wall, so he is sending me for an MRI to see whether I have placenta accreta or placenta increta and to see what we are dealing with before we think about any surgery. His basic approach at this stage is: if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have stopped bleeding and appear to be out of danger. What has been retained would interfere with a future pregnancy but he is hesitant to remove it without knowing the degree to which it is attached.

I'm just happy that I don't have to have any more surgeries - the D&C was difficult while breastfeeding my daughter.

Do you know any doctors who specialize in this problem?

Christy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Christy,

I am happy to hear that your doctor is comfortable with taking a conservative approach. I don't know of any doctors who necesarily specialize although if anyone else does I would love to connect with them. Again, I would opt for leaving things be. It will shrink to some degree, maybe even completely. Paige, who is also on this board got pregnant while still retaining a small piece of her placenta. I am having surgery in a few weeks to try and get my piece out along with the scar tissue. I am only doing this because I want to try and get pregnant again and my doctors want me to go in with the best possible uterus.

Keep us posted on the MRI results!!!!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Christy,

I am so glad to hear that you have stopped bleeding! Feeling better?

I had a piece of placenta left in me, 1.5 cm, back in jan 2003. I bled for a little while, nothing to cause concern and passed pieces of placenta (the whole placenta was left in). Anyway, my dr, who never had a case like me, decided to leave the remaining piece since my beta levels were zero and equated the piece to that of a cyst that most drs would just leave alone. Anyway, I was able to get pregnant again and have a beautiful 5m old daughter.

I did have another sm accreta and previa which required a c-section. My dr was great and very conservative. Hysterectomy, like Jodi said, is a last resort and only if you are bleeding to death. There are many things your dr can do to prepare for your next preg if you decide to, and doesn't mean an automatic hysterectomy.

-Paige