Thread: Anyone use Netflix or Blockbuster for DVD rental?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Netflix here.

I used to buy a shitload of DVDs back in the day (and get them stolen...KIDDING) and then only watch them once but now I just keep TV show DVDs like Seinfeld and OC that I'll watch more than once + some special movies. Other than that, I watch everything via Netflix or Video On Demand.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I go with Blockbuster Online, which I find superior to Netflix, just b/c of the in-store rentals. Those are clutch, when you want to watch a movie on impulse.

My plan for over a year was $14.99 a month, where I get 3 in the mail rentals at a time, and 2 in-store rentals per month.

I just changed my plan to a new $14.99 plan, where it's now 2 in the mail rentals at a time, and one per WEEK in-store.

I did this b/c they were raising the price of my old plan to $17.99/month.

Even though I technically get more movies the "new" way, I prefer my old set up. I hate having to finish a movie in time to return it, and I find myself now renting movies I don't even care that much to see (ie - I am currently in possesion of "the Aviator).

The one great thing about Blockbuster online (or Netflix, for that matter) is you can rent things that you would never think to rent, like t.v shows, or like I've been doing lately...renting each of the Wrestlemanias, 1 through 22. This is working out great, since I am getting them in the mail, having a friend at work burn a copy for me (and him), then sending them right back in rapid-fire succession. As far as tv seasons, if you wanted to get through a season of 24, and rented 6 discs one by one at blockbuster, you'd be out close to 30 dollars, and at that point, you might as well buy the season. With the online stuff, it's cool b/c you can just get them in the mail, one at a time, and blast right through them, all while paying a monthly fee.

[img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

Personally, I will probably cancel once I get through the Wrestlemanias, b/c I've "caught up" on most of the movies I hadn't seen and wanted to see, and b/c with now getting one in-store rental a week, I legit have way too much shit to watch, and I'm basically becoming a slave to it. And with my no-waste personality, I of course have to use every single coupon.

This reply was WAY too long.

--The Real Deal

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blockbuster for me.

Althought technically, both companies are the same. I got the two week trial for Netflix about a year and a half ago, then stopped after it wasn't free anymore. Then about a year ago, I started up with Blockbuster. And you know what? The address that the DVD's got shipped back to was the same fucken address in Stamford CT where the Netflix DVD's went! I think Blockbuster may subcontract this thing out.

I get the 3 at a time unlimited deal, and its $19.45 a month with tax. I am usually good for three DVD's per week, so thats about 12 or so a month I rent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh and a funny thing about "The Aviator". I rented it a few months ago, thinking it was some flying movie. I didn't know it was basically a docu-drama about Howard Hughes. However, I watched it anyway and I thought it was excellent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's unlikely that Netflix and Blockbuster have any affiliation, since Netflix recently sued Blockbuster b/c of an issue w/ their patent.

--RD