Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1- The poem is Italian
    2- The poem is talking about poetry and how it never ceases from our lives even thought we are not reading it, or writing it, poetry still surrounds us. This is because poetry is beauty and we are surrounded with beauty, so this is poetry.
    3- The iambic pentameter causes the poem to flow. The multiple commas show the listing of the things that are the poetry of the earth.
    4- 8.5
    5- It compares poetry to spring, using many personifications to do so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

by John Keats
    The poetry of earth is never dead:
    When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,
    And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run
    From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
    That is the Grasshopper's--he takes the lead
    In summer luxury,--he has never done
    With his delights; for when tired out with fun
    He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
    The poetry of earth is ceasing never:
    On a lone winter evening, when the frost
    Has wrought silence, from the stove there shrills
    The Cricket's song, in warmth increasing ever,
    And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,
    The Grasshopper's among some grassy hills.

1 - Identify the type of sonnet
    2 - Explicate in a short paragraph
    3 - How does structure affect meaning
    4 - On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being lowest, 10 being highest) how well do you understand the sonnet form (in general)?
    5 - any superfluous comments

2. This poem deals with "the poetry of the earth:" the natural songs that arises from nature. For example, in summer, the grasshopper is the one that sings, while during winter, the cricket is the one that sings its melodious songs. Nature is poetic in that it never ceases to do poetry, since the natural world, not just by its beauty, but by its component makes up a perfect and melodious poem.
    3. The the division between the octave and the sestet proves to be very effective. In the octave, the poem deals with summer and the grasshopper, while in the sestet, the poem deals with the cricket and winter. In my opinion, I think that Keats attributes two more verses to summer and the grasshopper because summer tends to be more poetic, more happy, while winter is harsher and gloomier.
    4. Around 8 - 8.5.
    5. None. I'm tired.

1. this poem is an italian sonnet. it follows the ryhme scheme and it has an octave and a sestet.
    2. the poem is talking about the earths natural poetry. it gives two examples of a grasshopper and a cricket. the grasshopper sings its melodies in the summer and the same to the cricket in the winter.
    3.in the octave it talks about the grasshopper and in the sestet it talks about the cricket. the octave is longer and the author speaks more about the summer than the winter mainly because of the happier mood the summer emits.
    4.probably a 7.5
    5.no gracias

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1- The poem is Italian
    2- The poem talks about the everpresence of poetry in life, and i believe that poetry in this poem is good in general, poetry is love, emotion, life, goodness, light, it is energy. It tells of how all these things con be found in anything, be it life (summer) or death(winter). poetry is meaning and passion, and everythingin both life and death, youth and decay is full of them. poettry is everpresent.
    3- the rhyme makes the poem have a very gentle and kind feeling to it, while the structure creates a cyclical feeling, highlighting the sense of neverendingness
    4- i give it an 8 because it can be used for so many things, i think that the beuty of poetry is making something simple and short mean a million things in a few words

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 07, 2007 06:12 PM: Message edited by: dainkelly ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12