Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Today we had a great discussion in class. We heard opinions from everybody covering so many aspects of the text. It was great and I applaud all of you.

Our class discussion essentially mirrors the debate over the ending of Chopin's text in critical circles. There is extensive controversy surrounding the ending of "The Awakening". One group of critics focuses on the novel as a feminist text. They argue that "Edna Pontellier?s awakening is one of mental clarity, and her suicide is a triumphant act. By committing suicide Edna is finally freeing herself from social constraints and possession. Her suicide is an act of liberation, therefore Edna is the ultimate feminist. The opposing group of critics...believe Edna?s awakening to be a decline into insanity. Instead of triumphing against the society and men who oppress her, Edna gives herself up to the ocean in a symbolic return to the womb, allowing the ocean to possess her." She gives up in her struggle against society, and leaves a valuable, if conventional, life. (Bird 1)

Which do you side with? Is it possible to think both are correct or does it have to be one or the other?

Response is due by Wednesday.

Happy posting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe that Edna adopts a very egocentric stand as she ?awakens?, regarding society and every role and responsibility she has. When she declares herself a victim of the structure of mankind, she chooses to dedicate every action in her life to fight against it. In the last chapters of the novel, Edna believes that she is actually being freed by society as she looses material connections to it. After several events, Edna realizes that she is not turning into an autonomous figure, but is instead being detached of everything she used to have (What Mms. Rattignolle would consider a ?perfect husband?, for instance).

Edna Pontellier then decides to commit suicide, not because she believes it is the only way to be free from society and is desperately seeking liberty, but because she realized that ultimately society was so deeply rooted in her that she could never be able to be separated from it. I see her suicide not as a valiant, heroic act of independence, but a coward alternative to avoid the consequences of her anterior rebelliousness.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 04, 2007 08:52 PM: Message edited by: hcaceres ]</font>

Inactive Member alberto_dacosta's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would say that it is possible for the reader to interpret Edna's suicide as a blend of feminist victory and societal defeat.

The feminists are vindicated in their claim that Edna's suicide is an act of liberation, given that Edna's final choice is her choice. She is not compelled by her husband or her father to drown herself amidst the waves of the sea. In that sense, it is possible for us to interpret Edna's last decision as a declaration of independence; she concludes her life with a cry of autonomy, one that can no longer be obscured by the chauvinistic society in which she exists.

On the other hand, however, Edna's suicide is a recognition of defeat. She is fully aware that, if she desires to continue treading the path of female independence, there are only two options left in her life. On the one hand, she can choose to remain true to her ideals in life and become a Mademoiselle Reisz; free, yes, but estranged from society. Edna understands that this option might not affect her considerably, but it will become a shadow looming over the reputability of her children. The second option available tok Madame Pontellier is suicide: a manner through which she can reclaim her independence for all eternity, remain coherent to her ideals, and safeguard her offspring from a tainted reputation.

While Edna's suicide legitimates her independence, and can therefore be considered an act of feminism, it was also an act of recognition; of recognition of the fact that she cannot escape society's grasp, of the fact that her heroic stand against the chauvinistic social institution into which she was born will change little, if anything, for her. In that sense, her battlecry is innately one of defiance and surrender; her suicide is a recognition of the inescapability of her fate because of the lifestyle that she so ardently wishes to lead.

I digress from the critic's opinion that Edna descended into "insanity"; I would settle for stating that she grew drunk of idealism. She could not observe her situation pragmatically: Edna was, after all, a Southern woman living in the early twentieth century. The fact that she chose to live her life differently or not is irrelevant in that respect, for whether she chose to or not she could not forsake that identity. Further, she doesn't appear to have possessed the strong will of Mademoiselle Reisz; a will that allowed her to shirk off the condescending looks and acrid criticisms that the wandering eyes and the sharp tongues of society gave her. Proof of this notion is the fact that one of the weighty considerations she made prior to her suicide was the honorability of her children if she chose to live an independent life.

I don't think that one interpretation is made in detriment of the other, however. It is correct to conceive Edna's suicide as both a feminist act and a decision influenced by the inescepable weight of societal conventions. In the end, it was little more than that: the combination of Edna's desire to be an independent woman and of her understanding that this could only come to pass if she could escape society through suicide.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 04, 2007 05:37 PM: Message edited by: alberto_dacosta ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think that edna was defeated by society, and this led her to her death. When she realised that she could not have her freedom and her man at the same time she looses all hope, but that of remaining free under death. I like to compare edna to that of a deafeated samurai, that chooses to kill himself before facing the humiliation, this is why people in the class said it was both honorable, but cowardly at the same time. I think that it is more cowardly than honorable, because she chooses the easy way out, which is ending it instead of dealing with life and the circumstances she could or could not change.

the part about the bird i think reprresents pretty much how edna felt, that her freedome, which can be thought of as flying was impossible, inside the cage, which i think represents society wouldnt let her fly, she had her wings, its just that she couldnt use them. When she found herself outside, she couldnt fly because she lost her wing, which i think represents the love in her life, ehich was mostly roberts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think above all Edna was selfish in "The Awakening". Her awakening was nothing more than acts to please herself without taking into account the rest... Sure everyone should do what is best for them, but she did it in a very immature manner. She did not even speak to her husband of her current situation before going off to cheat on him. She should have told him she was unhappy with how things were, and tried to resolve things with him at first. Some people might argue that this was no option for her at the time...I think otherwise. She should have first tried to resolve her problems instead of going straight into a state of rebellion.
    Her suicide was a selfish act towards all her loved ones. She left children and a husband who got no explanation. The husband now has to take care of the kids by himself and the children would not be the same without their mother. If she truly loved these people she would not have taken her life. If she truly loved them, she would have faced her problems head on, for them. Edna was a coward, she took the easy way out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Today we had a great discussion in class. We heard opinions from everybody covering so many aspects of the text. It was great and I applaud all of you.
    Our class discussion essentially mirrors the debate over the ending of Chopin's text in critical circles. There is extensive controversy surrounding the ending of "The Awakening". One group of critics focuses on the novel as a feminist text. They argue that "Edna Pontellier?s awakening is one of mental clarity, and her suicide is a triumphant act. By committing suicide Edna is finally freeing herself from social constraints and possession. Her suicide is an act of liberation, therefore Edna is the ultimate feminist. The opposing group of critics...believe Edna?s awakening to be a decline into insanity. Instead of triumphing against the society and men who oppress her, Edna gives herself up to the ocean in a symbolic return to the womb, allowing the ocean to possess her." She gives up in her struggle against society, and leaves a valuable, if conventional, life. (Bird 1)

Which do you side with? Is it possible to think both are correct or does it have to be one or the other?

Response is due by Wednesday.

Happy posting.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In my pont of view, Edna's death represents that she has lost to society. She saw that society will never change because she "rebels" against it. Therefore, she lost. Society is an ongoing machine that has never been interrupted. Edna wanted to put a stick into its many gears, but the stick ended up being crushed, just like her dream of being independent. I'm not saying that women shouldn't have rights; they should. Edna complained that she wasn't happy, but she had everything. She had the material from Mr. Pontellier, she had Robert's love, and she had Alcee as a sex partner. What else can she ask for? She found her happiness: Robert. She couldn't enjoy her happiness because she played her cards in the wrong moment. She knew that society was not going to tolerate her being with Robert, but she still tried going against the current. She did not have a plan, she improvised her scheme. Improvisation only works for musicians and politicians; not for guiding someone's life. In the end, Edna sees that her fight against society is futile and realizes that she can't undo all the wrongs she had done, therefore she decides to kill herself to save her children's reputation. In the end, Edna is James Dean's character in Rebellious Without a Cause.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The opposing group of critics...believe Edna?s awakening to be a decline into insanity. Instead of triumphing against the society and men who oppress her, Edna gives herself up to the ocean in a symbolic return to the womb, allowing the ocean to possess her." She gives up in her struggle against society, and leaves a valuable, if conventional, life. (Bird

I agree with the opposing side, i think edna was insane and her killing herself despite the fact that she had loving children and a husband is proof of her insanity. she cannot break free of the restraints from society and i think she just gives up. i also agree with those who say edna is selfish. hopefully she was completely insane because what she did was ridiculous.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe Edna's final struggle leads to her liberation. In the society she lived in there was no way out for her, her only option was to continue living with the oppresive forces of her life until her death. Her death was the only thing in her life that she was able to control, it was the only way she could control her own destiny. This was the ultimate liberation movement because she finally did something to be free walking into the ultimate abyss of the sea.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Edna?s suicide is definitely a triumphant act. She is freeing herself from her repressing roles as a wife and a mother, as well from being a possession claimed by men. She realizes that neither Leonce?s wealth, Robert?s love, nor Arobin?s physical pleasure make a difference?she wants freedom.

?I would give up the unessential; I would give my money, I would give my life for my children; but I wouldn't give myself.?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Edna refuses to sacrifice herself and return to her marriage with Leonce, instead she chooses to sacrifice her life and thus preserve her independence and integrity. Also notice that Edna commits suicide?she intentionally kills herself. This implicates that her death is a self-determined action. Nobody but Edna made the decision, which represents her ultimate rebellion of independence and liberation.

?A bird with a broken wing was beating the air above, reeling, fluttering, circling disabled down, down to the water.?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most people see this symbolizing Edna as a bird that cannot fly and surrenders to the conventions of society. However, I see the bird portraying the general women during the twentieth century. Edna of course is not one of them. Furthermore, the sea stands out for the vast expanse of independence. So I interpret the quote as depicting Edna's victory over society's restrictions in her struggle for freedom. A bird with broken wings that surrenders falls back to earth, not the sea.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 04, 2007 11:02 PM: Message edited by: brucelin ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I beleive Edna is the ultimate feminist. She knew that she could not keep living if she wnated to be truly free. Things such as loneliness, despair and love were still opressing her. It comes to a point that she is indifferent to everything, she's desenstized, the last step to freedom. Free of her burdens. She goes the extra mile and dies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast