Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. First of all, do you remember this author? (Think back to one of the very first things we read in AP Lit this year).
    William Carlos Williams is the author of ?The Use of Force?.

2.How well does Williams capture Breughel's painting?
    Williams captures Brueghel?s painting well. He uses a little humor to criticize the individuals? overindulgence of alcohol. There are a few satirical hints. I think that the sound of the poem as one reads it a loud really does compliment the meaning of the poem.

3. Identify one end-stopped line (if you can and discuss why Williams chose to include this stop/pause at the end of the line.
    The last line definitively is an end-stopped line and perhaps so is the first line.
    ?In Brueghel's great picture, The Kermess,
    ?the dancers go round, they go round and??
    The two clauses in the first line are not indispensable to the meaning of the second line, so if we were to omit the first line, the second would still preserve its meaning. Though a period at the end of the first line would make the line a fragment, this line is not really incomplete without the second one. This end pause might be important because it gives a sense of pause and brings a little emphasis to Breughel?s Kermess, which is the focus of poem.

4. Identify one enjambed line and discuss why Williams chose to force the reader on to the next line.
    ?shanks must be sound to bear up under such?
    rollicking measures, prance as they dance?

5. In what way does the poem's form, meter, and/or sounds reinforce its meaning?
    I think that part of the poem?s focus is on a criticism of the people?s drunkenness. The enjambed lines force the reader to go through the poem quickly and kind of confuse the reader. So, the confusion the reader experiences while he reads the poem kind of mirror the chaos of the picture.

Inactive Member sofiastaburuaga's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. First of all, do you remember this author? (Think back to one of the very first things we read in AP Lit this year)

I do remember this author, it?s the author of the story ?The Use of Force?, which talks about a doctor and his visit to a little girl?s house and how he had to fight against her stubbornness to examine her.

2. How well does Williams capture Breughel's painting?
    I don?t think Williams captures the painting completely. When I see the painting I see a lot of chaos, people dancing, but also throwing up, and the setting made a mess. Everything is out of place and kind of disturbed. In my opinion Williams? poem is a happier poem than the picture I see; it has a more festive tone and I feel more of a frenzy one.

3. Identify one end-stopped line (if you can and discuss why Williams chose to include this stop/pause at the end of the line.
    ?In Brueghel's great picture, The Kermess,..? This is an end- stopped line and I think he put a pause so the reader took the time to know what the author was talking about and not rushing into the poem and not knowing what they were going to read about.

4. Identify one enjambed line and discuss why Williams chose to force the reader on to the next line.
    ?..Kicking and rolling
    about the Fair Grounds, swinging their butts,..? is an enjambed line and I think Williams chose to force the reader on to the next line because he wanted it to be fast and to make the reader actually feel the movement of the people spinning and not stopping. Going round and round.

5. In whay way does the poem's form, meter, and/or sounds reinforce its meaning?
    The poem?s meter with the enjambments contributes to the party feeling and the non-stopping of the people and the on-going celebration that they are having. Its almost as if the reader feels the party going on while they read the poem that comes to an end so fast.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. First of all, do you remember this author? (Think back to one of the very first things we read in AP Lit this year)

Yes, and I liked his short story better than this poem. (The Use of Force)

2. How well does Williams capture Breughel's painting?

The poem captures the picture well if you have it available. But since I read the poem first, I imagined something else and was surprised at the picture. It's like watching a movie based on a novel. (But the other way around of course)

3. Identify one end-stopped line and discuss why Williams chose to include this stop/pause at the end of the line.

The first line is an end-stopped line. This was chosen because it emphasizes the title of the picture. The pause makes the title right before it ring.

The best example as already mentioned is:

"the dancers go round, they go round and
    around"

This shows at what speed the dancers were moving at by having the reader read at a faster pace.

5. In way way does the poem's form, meter, and/or sounds reinforce its meaning?

The enjambed lines give a similar "tone" to what the picture gives. A merry, uplifting and cheerful atmosphere. If there had been more end-stopped lines, this effect would not be easily achieved and it might seem like a worse party.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He wrote "The Use of Force."

2. Follow this link http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/htm.../kermesse.html

You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

How well does Williams capture Breughel's painting?

5. In whay way does the poem's form, meter, and/or sounds reinforce its meaning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12