Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My tenant moved out, and I have an apartment-sized refrigerator and gas stove - both in working order - to get rid of.

I was given the number of Sister Ruth of Community Land Development, who pairs used appliances with needy people who can use them. Sister Ruth gave me the number of "Terri" who is in need of a gas stove.

Early last week I called Terri and set up a time (Saturday at 3) when she could pick up the stove. I gave her my address and directions and told her to let me know if she wasn't coming because I needed to have someone help me disconnect the stove and move it from the second floor of my house.

Just before 1pm on Saturday I called Terri to make sure we were still on. I informed her that I was having a friend come over at 1 to help me move the stove and to let me know if she's not coming because I was going to put the stove at the end of my driveway.

3:45 and no Terri. I called and she said the brother in law with the truck used to move the stove hadn't shown.

I subsequently called twice, the last time telling Terri she could pick it up on Sunday if transportation was a problem on Saturday. I told her the stove was in the driveway and she could simply stop by and pick it up regardless if I was home or not.

Sunday evening rolls around and no Terri. I called her, she answered. Knowing that it's her, I asked for her anyway. After a muffled sound on the phone, a man answers and tells me, "We're no longer interested in the stove."

Those mother fuckers.

No "Sorry for the inconvenience."

No "Thanks for offering the stove."

No call telling me that they no longer had interest in the stove.

Forgive my insensitivity, but those assholes deserve their destitute way of life.

Anyone want a perfectly-functioning gas stove? It's sitting in my driveway.

<font color="#FFFFAA" size="1">[ August 08, 2005 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Captain Whizbang ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You might try "Amvets", I'm pretty sure that's the organization that took an old stove off our hands. Then you can log a charitable donation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's kind of comical, in a way. Not what that couple did to Reason, which I agree was in poor taste. But I mean, Reason has probably less 'neck in him than any of the regulars on the board (BTW, due to my eastern Kentucky roots, I suppose I would qualify as the most 'neck). And yet the image he painted in his post is so 'neck it almost makes me long for family reunions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm baffled how someone who doesn't own a stove wouldn't have interest in one that operates perfectly.

There's an economics lesson in here somewhere, but a used appliance store on Hamilton Avenue picked up the stove sometime yesterday morning, within hours of me calling them. A quick phone call to Tri-State Appliance, and BAM, it's gone!

Unfortunately, a low-income fellow stooper subsequently called and expressed an interest in the stove, but it was already gone. So not only does Terri not have a stove, she ended up screwing someone else out of one that could've really used it.

As far as LanDroid's suggestion to call Amvets is concerned, I've found that charitable organizations no longer tend to accept major appliances. Salvation Army doesn't. Neither does St. Vincent DePaul.

The woman at St. Vincent DePaul explained that they no longer accept appliances because people were dumping nonfunctioning appliances on them, burdening them with more costs and labor than it was worth.

Sister Ruth has taken Terri off the donation list. Unfortunately, because of Terri, Sister Ruth was reluctant to have me call Kiana, who is in need of a refrigerator that I'm willing to give away.

Anyone need a used refrigerator?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For the record, if Terri had been a little more cooperative, I may have worked with her to see if I could arrange to have the stove delivered to her.

Anton von Stockhoff

Best bet is she reconsidered wanting it after thinking about your neighborhood. She probably didn't want to bring roaches into her home...

Apparently the idea of "giving it away" was more to stroke your own pathetic ego than to help someone. If you truly had someone else's welfare at heart you would have simply shrugged off their not coming to get it and realize, for whatever reason, they had changed their mind. But that would be an impossible leap for an arrogant egomaniac like you who thinks he is the center of the universe.

Here's a clue windbag, it isn't always about you. When they didn't come to get it did you stomp your foot out in your driveway? Would be par for the course for your overall personality.

Loser.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I would also be upset were I treated as CPT Whizbang was when attempting to do something nice for those less fortunate.

Perhaps the Less Fortunate People (LFP) have a chip on their shoulder and are suspicious of anyone trying to help them. Still...a fucking phone call would have been appropriate.

Screw'em

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"As far as LanDroid's suggestion to call Amvets is concerned, I've found that charitable organizations no longer tend to accept major appliances."

I know, but Amvets does. Heh, or at least they did when we got rid of one. In fact as I recall, we told them it functioned, but not very well - I think they intended to fix it up and re-sell it, not give it away...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Beach Comber:
    Best bet is she reconsidered wanting it after thinking about your neighborhood. She probably didn't want to bring roaches into her home...

Apparently the idea of "giving it away" was more to stroke your own pathetic ego than to help someone. If you truly had someone else's welfare at heart you would have simply shrugged off their not coming to get it and realize, for whatever reason, they had changed their mind. But that would be an impossible leap for an arrogant egomaniac like you who thinks he is the center of the universe.

Here's a clue windbag, it isn't always about you. When they didn't come to get it did you stomp your foot out in your driveway? Would be par for the course for your overall personality.

Loser.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I see we're on the low end of the manic state right now, eh?

As I told Sister Ruth, it wasn't so much they didn't want the stove, which ultimately doesn't bother me. The problem is that I repeatedly requested (and she agreed) that I be told if she were to change her mind.

As a result, someone who really could have used the stove didn't get it. Not to mention that I unnecessarily enlisted the help of a friend who was busy enough already. I wouldn't have left the appliance outside to bear the elements had I been informed that they had changed their mind.

Regardless, despite what you think, Sister Ruth agrees with me, and has taken the family off the list for future donations.

<font color="#FFFFAA" size="1">[ August 09, 2005 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Captain Whizbang ]</font>