Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    But you no a smokey yourself!!!!!!
    No Smoking alliowed anywhere in GABP and YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO RE-ENTER IF YOU STEP OUTSIDE TO SMOKE!

Reds ban smoking in all areas
    Law leaves no leeway, team says
    BY CLIFF PEALE

The only smoking at Great American Ball Park this season will come from the center-field smokestacks after a strikeout.

The Reds Thursday declared the entire stadium non-smoking, the team's first official response to Ohio voters' passage in November of a statewide smoking ban. Fans won't be able to leave the ballpark to smoke, then re-enter.

If Reds employees see a smoker, they'll hand that person a card describing the new law and ask them to extinguish the cigarette, vice president of ballpark operations Declan Mullin said.

Last year, the club allowed smoking in seven designated areas on concourses and ramps, although not in the seating bowl. The new law's strict prohibition on smoking in enclosed areas, near entrances and exits or in places affecting employees made keeping the areas difficult, Mullin said.

"We thought long and hard about (keeping smoking areas)," Mullin said.

The team even requested a Hamilton County prosecutor's opinion, as the Bengals had. It advised the teams to prohibit smoking entirely. The Bengals banned smoking at games played after the law passed in November.

Reds fan Bruce Alderson, who lives in southern Indiana and attends three or four Reds games a year, said he was grateful.

"It certainly will help. I cannot stand the smoking anywhere."

But Ted Prues of Norwood, who goes to about 10 games a year, said he and his wife, Linda, both smokers, are disappointed.

"We pay our taxes on the stadium.... It would seem to me they could set aside half-a-dozen spaces for smokers.

"I'll probably always root for the Reds, but I'll probably do it from my own backyard."

June is approaching and the total ban punishments will soon be enforced as well.

I think many felt they would have areas designated for smoking, but they wont.
    Maybe they should sell the patch or nicorette at the consession stands [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

In case you were wondering, here's how the fines will be set...
    (according to state board of health, this may change)

First offense - Warning Letter
    Second Offesne- $100 Fine
    Third Offense- $500 fine
    Forth Offense- $1000 Fine
    5th and Subsequent Offense- $2500
    I guess the biggest question now, is if the warnings some buinesses have recieved (ones that are still allowing smoking that is) count as their first offense?

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ March 12, 2007 11:11 AM: Message edited by: cincygreg ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 12, 2007 11:11 AM: Message edited by: cincygreg ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even though I was against the smoking ban in general, I didn't have a problem with it here (even though yes the stadium is outdoors). My argument about bowling alleys/restaurants was that the market can support both. But it's not like we're going to have two stadiums, one smoking the other non-smoking. That's more of a "public" environment, and I'm afraid I'm with the non-smokers on this one. I still think they're a bunch of fascist-paxil-addicts who lament daily over how things could have been in life, and I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I wouldn't kinda get excited to see them star in the next episode of "When Wild Animals Attack," but on this particular issue, just as the blind squirrel finds the nut, they have found the correct answer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I'm just wondering if people are permitted to re-enter the ballpark if the leave for any reason?!?!?

I dont think they are.