Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You, of all people on this board should know that Crazy Ladies is no more.

The certain company I was speaking of is telecommunications engineers and installers. Hell, even the salespeople know it's not a manhole!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CR Systems Engineering and Design
    March 2003
    UCDAVIS COMMUNICATIONS RESOURCES CONFINED SPACE ENTRY POLICY & PROCEDURE MANUAL
    March 2003

I. PURPOSE This section describes policies and procedures regarding the Communication Resources Telecommunications Confined Space Entry Program. This policy expands upon the UC Davis Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Confined Space Entry Program Employee Guide to provide specific guidance associated with entry into telecommunications maintenance holes and vaults.

source

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Political correctness

It has been suggested that the gender-specific term "manhole cover" is not politically correct, but the gender-neutral version "person-hole cover" does not seem to have caught on. Alternative suggestions include "inspection cover" and "access hatch". One proposed name is "Maintenance Hole" or "Maintenance Hatch", which doesn't require changing the acronym and hence many city maps.

source

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know why manholes are round?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by travelinman:
    Does anyone know why manholes are round?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Two reasons, one the real reason and an ancillary one.

Real reason: no matter how you hold it, the round cover will not drop down in the hole. The diameters are not longer along one axis than any other.

Ancillary but nice reason: It fits without having to turn it around to the "right" orientation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Aurora Leigh:

Ancillary but nice reason: It fits without having to turn it around to the "right" orientation.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not necessarily true.

While you don?t ever see this in public areas, in a lot of privately owned duct bank systems manhole covers do have an orientation. There are different accesses for electrical, telecom, signal (security, access control, CCTV), etc. and the covers are labeled as such. At my last job in Florida I wanted all the covers oriented so the label was parallel to the road for readability from a truck as I slowly drove by.

That may sound lazy, but I worked for a major jet engine manufacture not in Cincinnati and the engine test stands were 5 miles away from the main complex. The site is on the northern edge of the everglades so there are a lot of snakes and gators around.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Aurora Leigh:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not necessarily true.

While you don?t ever see this in public areas, in a lot of privately owned duct bank systems manhole covers do have an orientation. There are different accesses for electrical, telecom, signal (security, access control, CCTV), etc. and the covers are labeled as such. At my last job in Florida I wanted all the covers oriented so the label was parallel to the road for readability from a truck as I slowly drove by.

That may sound lazy, but I worked for a major jet engine manufacture not in Cincinnati and the engine test stands were 5 miles away from the main complex. The site is on the northern edge of the everglades so there are a lot of snakes and gators around.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678