Thread: Erica Jong Tells Italians Obama Loss 'Will Spark the Second American Civil War. Blood

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Erica Jong Tells Italians Obama Loss 'Will Spark the Second American Civil War. Blood Will Run in the Streets'
    by Jason Horowitz | October 30, 2008 | Tags: PoliticsBarack ObamaDick CheneyErica JongGeorge W. BushJane FondaKen FollettMichael ChabonNormal MailerPhillip RothTom Wolfe

It seems that the final days of the presidential campaign have made Erica Jong and her friends more than a little anxious.

A few days ago, Jong, the author and self-described feminist, gave an interview to the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, the choicest bits of which were brought to my attention by the reliably sharp-eyed Christian Rocca, the U.S. correspondent of Il Foglio, who published excerpts on his Camillo blog. Basically, Jong says her fear that Obama might lose the election has developed into an "obsession. A paralyzing terror. An anxious fever that keeps you awake at night." She also says that her friends Jane Fonda and Naomi Wolf are extremely worried that Obama will be sabotaged by Republican dirty tricks, and that if an Obama loss indeed comes to pass, the result will be a second American Civil War.

Here's a translation of Jong's more spirited quotes to the Milan-based Corriere, as selected by Rocca.

"The record shows that voting machines in America are rigged."

"My friends Ken Follett and Susan Cheever are extremely worried. Naomi Wolf calls me every day. Yesterday, Jane Fonda sent me an email to tell me that she cried all night and can't cure her ailing back for all the stress that has reduces her to a bundle of nerves."

"My back is also suffering from spasms, so much so that I had to see an acupuncturist and get prescriptions for Valium."

"After having stolen the last two elections, the Republican Mafia?"

"If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War. Blood will run in the streets, believe me. And it's not a coincidence that President Bush recalled soldiers from Iraq for Dick Cheney to lead against American citizens in the streets."

"Bush has transformed America into a police state, from torture to the imprisonment of reporters, to the Patriot Act."

She also laments that not all of America's men of letters share her devotion to Obama.

"Tom Wolfe and John Updike are men of the right and Philip Roth is at this point a hermit who leads a monastic life in Connecticut, far from everything and everybody."

Luckily, she said there is her and Michael Chabon, who, she says, have "taken the place of Susan Sontag and Norman Mailer respectively."

They have the same political sensibilities, she said, but a better "sense of humor."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nobama08xb5

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know as if I care what Naomi Wolf has to say, but I am rather interested in the politics of both Naomi Watts and Naomi Campbell....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish you had had a better aim with that beer bottle Trav back in the day..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Like it or not, you better get used to the sound of President Obama.

Remember you heard it here first after his announcement of Sarah Palin as his VP choice.

We're fucked!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was the high cost of oil sending the economy into a tailspin and the housing crisis that derailed McCain more than anything else. Oil is coming down just in time for the economy to pick up again in 09 and it will look like Obama fixed everything. Had the economy been as sound this entire year as it had been last year, McCain's choice of Palin would have had very little impact. The costs of the Iraq war I think almost everyone is sick of it. The GOP begged to lose, and got their wish, but we will pay the price...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Erica Jong Tells Italians Obama Loss 'Will Spark the Sec

Quote Originally Posted by jumper69 View Post
    Like it or not, you better get used to the sound of President Obama.

Remember you heard it here first after his announcement of Sarah Palin as his VP choice.

We're ****ed!
    Man’s as it turns out, Obama was infinitely better than Trump. Period.
    Obama? Yo Mama!<p>Bush and Cheney Violate Our Constitution.

Junior Hostboard Member NikolasAllen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I absolutely agree with you.

Junior Hostboard Member NikolasAllen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting article, thank you for sharing the information. I'm writing a little research on how America changed during the Trump presidency and read here lot of useful information where there are useful articles not only about Donald Trump's political career but also about his personal life, early years and adulthood.