Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Many stem-cell researchers hope to treat diseases by recruiting these adaptable cells to replace others that have been damaged. A report published today in Science demonstrates a different approach, which rescued mice that otherwise would have died from a genetic heart defect before birth. Instead of replacing the defective cells, embryonic stem cells released chemical signals that caused the defective heart tissue to grow properly.

Source: Scientific American
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, perhaps this treatment will be easier and more effective than we thought...

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ October 11, 2004 07:58 PM: Message edited by: LanDroid ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I've read a little about this, and plan to read some more. Amazing stuff may become possible from this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. I just wish there sort of was a way to keep the cells being used...to be form umbilical cords and not from aborted fetuses. I mean , it is just my personal opinion. If it had been an opiton that i had known about when either of my children had been born, I would have done it (donating the umbilical cord) in aheartbeat.

But, I suspect that there are many people who will argue...if a fetus is going to be aborted anyway, why not try to salvage something good from the situation...what a slippery slope.