Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is there anything that can be done to the ghillie to minimise thermal detection?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.snipercountry.com/IRSniper.html
    The BEST way to protect yourself from IR detection is get behind/under what is already there, and DON'T change the temperature of it.? Since you obviously have to see and perhaps reach out, do so through the smallest portal(s) you can handle.? Those "man-sized" targets detectable at 1100 yards are just that - man-sized - not the size of your (s) and right eye.? Remember that glass reflects some IR (100 ? 94 = 6%), and the sky (space) is cold (approaching Absolute Zero), so if your scope is reflecting not sun, but sky, it will look COLD.? If you have on a scope sunshade that is hot, the internal IR of the sunshade will reflect out as HOT.

??? I believe the GI Woodland BDU's are treated with an IR emittance reducer.? If so, the "cloth" E figure in the table will change and you have to adjust for the following discussion.? Or obtain untreated camo fabric or defeat that treatment (starch, I believe).? The IR reducing treatment makes sense for a situation where the woods is cooler than 98.6 F.? I hope the Desert Daylight BDU's are NOT treated, but the nighttime anti-starlight smocks probably should be.? If your BDU's image "cold" against hot sand, you are just as "seen".? I trust the techies were aware of this, and have specified correctly.? But you need to confirm by looking through your equipment at your buddy against some typical backgrounds.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">