Thread: TIPS to get 8.5 overall, and 9.0 in speaking :)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

TIPS to get 8.5 overall, and 9.0 in speaking :)

Hey! Just got my IELTS results, and wanted to share some tips on how I achieved them.
    17, Female, Indian;
    Speaking: 9.0
    Reading: 8.5
    Listening: 8.5
    Writing: 8.0
    Speaking TIPS:
    • Don't be too formal, it's a conversation - not a job interview
    • Try and use as many idioms as you can, without it being forced (i.e. "Two peas in a pod")
    • Don't show your nervousness, smile as you talk, don't be monotone and show variance in pitch
    • Avoid uh's and um's, instead take a long breathe to collect your thoughts and carry on
    • Hesitating to find ideas is okay, but trying to find words is not
    • Speak as much as possible, without going off topic
    For example, the examiner asks what is your favourite colour? "blue", "my favourite colour is definitely blue, because it's very calming and compliments my skin tone."
    Don't memorise a script, they will give you an automatic fail!
    Reading TIPS
    • Spend a minute or two skimming the entire extract, look at the questions and refer back to general area with the answer
    • Revise vocabulary, most importantly synonyms and antonyms
    • Be careful with the answer word limits (i.e: Use two words to answer this question... "A necklace made of gold", "Gold necklace"
    • Look for similar sentence structures in questions and their answers
    Listening TIPS
    • The voices in the audio clips always have quite heavy accents, I would recommend listening to some native speakers with accents. Australian accents are usually a favourite for IELTS.
    • Once you get an answer, don't forget about it. They try and trick you by answering a question, but then changing the answer at the last second
    For example:
    -"Do you think we should go to the park?"
    -"Yes sure!"
    -"Great."
    -"Wait, actually I'm busy, maybe next time"
    Don't lose focus The clips are kinda long, so try and stay focused throughout the whole thing
    Writing TIPS
    • Truthfully, I thought it was going to be my best test, and speaking would be my worst hahaha
    • Try not too be too descriptive for part 1, more factual and refer to the data as much as possible
    • Part 2 is where you can be more experimental with ideas, rhetorical questions, language etc.
    • Vary sentence structures, and try and link each paragraph with another

Hope these tips helped you! I know there's not a lot, but I didn't want to put all the obvious ones like: "Practice!" "Do past papers" etc.
    Good luck

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: TIPS to get 8.5 overall, and 9.0 in speaking :)

Hey! These tips are definitely very useful, but they should be backed up with practice and, in my opinion, nothing will give you as much practice in preparation as this IELTS general course, because here tutors will require as much effort from you as you can give. Thus, you are almost guaranteed to be able to pass this exam.