Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or Merry Mithras?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stormy.. you said this "I would never expect another religion to change what is sacred to them so that I would feel more at ease. That would just be the epitome of selfishness."

I say bullspit! Not you persay, but Christian Priests took over the Pagan holidays so that the people would feel "more at ease" and their new religion could take hold.

Read this and tell me what you think, it was on snopes btw.

Claim: The day celebrated as Christmas (December 25) is the actual birthday of Jesus.

Origins: The
    biblical narrative of Jesus' birth gives no date for the event, though it more likely occurred in spring than in winter. Saint Luke tells us that shepherds were "abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night" ? shepherds guarded their flocks day and night only at lambing time, in the spring; in winter, the animals were kept in corrals, unwatched. Happy birthday to me . . .

It is important to note that for two centuries after Christ's birth, no one knew, and few people cared, exactly when he was born. Birthdays were unimportant; death days counted. Besides, Christ was divine and his natural birth was deliberately played down. In fact, the Church even announced at one point that it was sinful to contemplate observing Christ's birthday "as though He were a King Pharoah."

The idea of celebrating the Nativity on December 25 was first suggested early in the fourth century CE, a clever move on the part of Church fathers who wished to eclipse the December 25 festivities of a rival pagan religion, Mithraism, which threatened the existence of Christianity.

On December 25 (the date of the winter solstice) pagan Romans, still in the majority, celebrated Natalis Solis Invincti, "Birthday of the Invincible Sun God," Mithras. The Mithras cult originated in Persia and rooted itself in the Roman world in the first century BCE, but by the early 300s CE the rising religion of Christianity was posing a formidable challenge to the sun worshipers, especially after the Edict of Milan issued by the Roman emperor Constantine I in 313 CE allowed Christians to practice their faith in the Roman Empire.

In those tenuous early days of Christianity, however, Church fathers debated strategies for supplanting the Mithras cult with their own religion. Since it was well known that Roman patricians and plebians alike enjoyed festivals of a protracted nature, Christians recognized that they needed an alternative to the December celebration of Natalis Solis Invincti. They needed a celebration in which all participants ? Mithraists, Christians, and those in between ? could take part with pride. Accordingly, the Church officially recognized Christ's birth, and to offer head-on competition to the sun worshipers' popular feast, the Church located the Nativity on December 25. The mode of observance would be characteristically prayerful: a Mass. In fact, Christs' Mass. As one theologian wrote around 320 CE:

We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it.

Although centuries later, social scientists would write of the psychological power of group celebrations ? the unification of ranks, the solidification of collective identity, the reinforcement of common objectives ? the principle had long been intuitively obvious. Christianity took permanent hold in the Western world in 337 CE when Constantine I was baptized on his deathbed, uniting for the first time the Crown and the Church.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First off, I totally agree that no one knows the true birthday of Jesus. I watched a thing on this several years ago and they believe that Jesus was actually born in September...had something to do with the stars in the sky and how certain planets lined up, which could have been the bright star the shepherds saw when Jesus was born.

Now, just suppose for a moment that God truly is the ruler of this planet and the Bible account is true. As you know, I tend to take God literally on most things, and I like to think and ponder on these things. Well, here is a thought that came to me after watching that particular show. From December until September...that's a perfect 9 months. And the Bible says that God knew you before you were born. So it just may be that God counts the conception of Jesus as His actual birth and it may not be just a coincidence that His birthday is in December, when they actually think His birth took place in September. If we're truly celebrating the conception of Christ, then I think that speaks volumes about the pro-choice movement...but then, that's another topic to get into later! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Moving right along. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] The Bible is full of stories of how pagans worshipped different gods. I am well aware that the Christmas tree is a pagan thing, but pagans were not the first or last to worship other gods and make up holidays. All I see is that Christian's developed holiday's that would celebrate our Savior's birth and death. No one knows the exact date of these events, but someone along the way determined when we'd celebrate these things. Yes, pagans have been around a long time, so have Christian's. I don't think it's just mere man who has caused Christianity to become the religion that it has...if God is the supreme being that I know Him to be, He is at the root of spreading the gospel and making it what it is today. Man can be helpers of that, and they can also be harmers of it. I'm sure that back in those days, religions clashed and scraped out their holidays...but the one true religion that really has not changed since those days is the religion that believes in the Bible...and look how old the Bible is.

I don't know if I'm answering your questions right or not...maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're getting at. If I'm totally off with this responce, I'll try it again! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jormy:
    Stormy.. you said this "I would never expect another religion to change what is sacred to them so that I would feel more at ease. That would just be the epitome of selfishness."

I say bullspit! Not you persay, but Christian Priests took over the Pagan holidays so that the people would feel "more at ease" and their new religion could take hold.

Read this and tell me what you think, it was on snopes btw.

Claim: The day celebrated as Christmas (December 25) is the actual birthday of Jesus.

Origins: The
    biblical narrative of Jesus' birth gives no date for the event, though it more likely occurred in spring than in winter. Saint Luke tells us that shepherds were "abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night" ? shepherds guarded their flocks day and night only at lambing time, in the spring; in winter, the animals were kept in corrals, unwatched. Happy birthday to me . . .

It is important to note that for two centuries after Christ's birth, no one knew, and few people cared, exactly when he was born. Birthdays were unimportant; death days counted. Besides, Christ was divine and his natural birth was deliberately played down. In fact, the Church even announced at one point that it was sinful to contemplate observing Christ's birthday "as though He were a King Pharoah."

The idea of celebrating the Nativity on December 25 was first suggested early in the fourth century CE, a clever move on the part of Church fathers who wished to eclipse the December 25 festivities of a rival pagan religion, Mithraism, which threatened the existence of Christianity.

On December 25 (the date of the winter solstice) pagan Romans, still in the majority, celebrated Natalis Solis Invincti, "Birthday of the Invincible Sun God," Mithras. The Mithras cult originated in Persia and rooted itself in the Roman world in the first century BCE, but by the early 300s CE the rising religion of Christianity was posing a formidable challenge to the sun worshipers, especially after the Edict of Milan issued by the Roman emperor Constantine I in 313 CE allowed Christians to practice their faith in the Roman Empire.

In those tenuous early days of Christianity, however, Church fathers debated strategies for supplanting the Mithras cult with their own religion. Since it was well known that Roman patricians and plebians alike enjoyed festivals of a protracted nature, Christians recognized that they needed an alternative to the December celebration of Natalis Solis Invincti. They needed a celebration in which all participants ? Mithraists, Christians, and those in between ? could take part with pride. Accordingly, the Church officially recognized Christ's birth, and to offer head-on competition to the sun worshipers' popular feast, the Church located the Nativity on December 25. The mode of observance would be characteristically prayerful: a Mass. In fact, Christs' Mass. As one theologian wrote around 320 CE:

We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it.

Although centuries later, social scientists would write of the psychological power of group celebrations ? the unification of ranks, the solidification of collective identity, the reinforcement of common objectives ? the principle had long been intuitively obvious. Christianity took permanent hold in the Western world in 337 CE when Constantine I was baptized on his deathbed, uniting for the first time the Crown and the Church.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 21, 2006 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Stormyskies ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Considering the title of "Merry Christmas or Merry Mithras", I took it as being part of the Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays debate that gets O'Reilly worked up into such a snit every year.

But it's just a wild guess. I guess we have to await Jormy coming back and clarifying.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oops....how do you delete double-posts here?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 22, 2006 03:16 PM: Message edited by: funkycamper ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Funky.. Yes, on another board we had a grand ole time with the discussion of "does it take away from Christians to call it a Holiday party at work and at school".

Stormy and another poster were quite vehement, that although nothing religious happens at a Christmas party, if we call it a Holiday Party we are taking Christ out of it and forcing the Christians to give up their traditions and beliefs.

So basically, no, she didn't respond to the part where I pointed out how her words belie how she really feels.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ November 22, 2006 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Jormy ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 22, 2006 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Jormy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It went poof. I freakin' hate that. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is a very sanitized version of it left. I have 1 post of mine that survived the sanitizing process and that one only says "very interesting post"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by feelinggreat:
    Jormy, your post made me think of the six Imams who were removed from a plane recently because a passenger was uncomfortable seeing them pray.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, passengers saw the other guys who flew the planes into the trade towers praying, also. Had I been on that flight, I would have gotten up and walked off because I would never be comfortable being in an inclosed space with 6 Imams who were heard to be speaking Anti-American garbage. Sorry, it's not up to us to kiss their butts after what their Islamic people did...it's up to them to prove themselves to us...and frankly, a lot of Americans just aren't ready to put our blind trust in them right now or anytime soon.

[qb]
    Stormy, I can't speak for Jormy but I don't think the question was about a specific birth date. The Snopes quote was to point out the Pagan holiday preceding the Christian holiday:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought her question was about taking over the holiday and changing a celebration of what was sacred to the Pagans to suit the Christians.
    [/QUOTE]

I believe Christians, although they weren't called that back then, existed long before pagans ever did, but of course, for the people who totally discount the Bible, you wouldn't be able to tell them that. I'm not denying that some of the traditions Christmas has is from pagan roots, but I don't believe that it's mere man who took over the holiday from pagans. I believe there is a Higher force at work who did that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jormy, your post made me think of the six Imams who were removed from a plane recently because a passenger was uncomfortable seeing them pray.

Originally posted by Jormy:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stormy, I can't speak for Jormy but I don't think the question was about a specific birth date. The Snopes quote was to point out the Pagan holiday preceding the Christian holiday:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought her question was about taking over the holiday and changing a celebration of what was sacred to the Pagans to suit the Christians.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We go clear back to the Garden of Eden...if that's not before pagans, then I'm missing something. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Originally posted by feelinggreat:
    I hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving! [img]smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stormyskies:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by feelinggreat:
    [qb]Jormy, your post made me think of the six Imams who were removed from a plane recently because a passenger was uncomfortable seeing them pray.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, passengers saw the other guys who flew the planes into the trade towers praying, also. Had I been on that flight, I would have gotten up and walked off because I would never be comfortable being in an inclosed space with 6 Imams who were heard to be speaking Anti-American garbage. Sorry, it's not up to us to kiss their butts after what their Islamic people did...it's up to them to prove themselves to us...and frankly, a lot of Americans just aren't ready to put our blind trust in them right now or anytime soon. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't say anything about kissing their butts (?) so I don't know why you quoted me. I just said that the subject reminded me of that incident ... and I have not heard a thing about them saying anything anti-American. I thought they were just saying their prayers. Do you have a source for that? I'd like to know more because this is the first I've heard that part of it.

[qb]
    I believe Christians, although they weren't called that back then, existed long before pagans ever did, but of course, for the people who totally discount the Bible, you wouldn't be able to tell them that. I'm not denying that some of the traditions Christmas has is from pagan roots, but I don't believe that it's mere man who took over the holiday from pagans. I believe there is a Higher force at work who did that.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This really confused me. Can you tell me more about Christians who existed before Pagans? I've never heard of such a thing. Thanks.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast