Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Maureen in Italy:
    But really Senorina... If the Left had a Rush Limbaugh or a handful of Sean Hannitys' there would have been so much more outrage about things that BushCo have done in the last 6 years.

Outside of Keith Olberman the Left has no real media voices that get heard, let alone in the numbers that the Limbaugh, Hannity, and Savage get heard in. Look at how many viewers Fox has and on a daily basis they have practically no one as a voice from the Left. With millions of listeners on their side it was easy to drum-up outrage.

The funny part was that Kerry was himself a soldier so any perceived slamming of the military also applied to him.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't disagree more.

When Trent Lott said at a birthday party for Strom Thurmond that he would have been a good president - how much hell broke loose? He had to step down for crying out loud.

You will never convice me that either party has a monopoly on taking advantage of stupid comments that the other side makes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've mentioned elsewhere that when the Mark Foley situation broke and Dennis Hastert was first being accused of either deliberately or negigently covering things up, what we heard from the politicians and the talking heads that it was a non-issue, and that the country needed to get back to the real issues so close to an election. These same politicians, these same talking heads, were "outraged" about Kerry's botched joke, and made a huge big deal out of it.

I know which newsworthy event I consider to be a real issue. Even if I imagine that I believe that John Kerry really thinks the troops are stupid, I know which issue is more important.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by senorina:
    <clip>

We can deal with what other people did wrong on another conversation, because it has nothing to do with this one.

<clip>[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I hope we can agree to disagree on this one.

To me it's clear the man that Kerry was talking about was George W. Bush and the hypocrisy in the whole event is quite obvious. Dick Armey got this one right.

I agree, space4dtime, that there are many much more serious issues to talk about.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Maureen in Italy:
    But really Senorina... If the Left had a Rush Limbaugh or a handful of Sean Hannitys' there would have been so much more outrage about things that BushCo have done in the last 6 years.

Outside of Keith Olberman the Left has no real media voices that get heard, let alone in the numbers that the Limbaugh, Hannity, and Savage get heard in. Look at how many viewers Fox has and on a daily basis they have practically no one as a voice from the Left. With millions of listeners on their side it was easy to drum-up outrage.

The funny part was that Kerry was himself a soldier so any perceived slamming of the military also applied to him.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't forget Ed Schultz! I love him. Unlike Rush, he does allow Bush supporters and republicans to speak out on his show, so we do hear from people with different viewpoints. If you haven't listened, I suggest you check him out. I know you're in Italy and maybe can't get him on the radio, but he does have a website where you can listen to his show.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why didn't THIS GUY correct himself then and there?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What the hell does it have to do with the rightness or wrongness of John Kerry's actions?
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">John Kerry's actions? You care about John Kerry's actions why?

He made fun of Bush and I believe THAT'S what his fans are upset about ... not the troops.

George Bush has done HORRIBLE things to our troops, regardless of what words come out of his mouth - and some doozies have come out - where was the outrage then, I ask... .

It's the hypocrisy. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 05, 2006 12:13 AM: Message edited by: feelinggreat ]</font>

Inactive Member Maureen in Italy's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't disagree more.

When Trent Lott said at a birthday party for Strom Thurmond that he would have been a good president - how much hell broke loose? He had to step down for crying out loud.

You will never convice me that either party has a monopoly on taking advantage of stupid comments that the other side makes.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But Trent Lott's comments were racist and not what was clearly a joke gone bad. I don't think that either side tolerates blatent racism.

This is kind of funny. I did a search to refresh my memory on what Trent Lott said exactly (I only remembered it was racist) and I found this. Mind you,, this was a week after he made his remarks. Funny how many wanted to drop it once he apologized.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLI.../lott.comment/

"On their face, the recent comments of Sen. Trent Lott are offensive, repugnant and inimical to what the Republican Party stands for," said William Bennett, a noted conservative author and education secretary during the Reagan administration.

Bennett suggested that Lott's explanations about what he meant when he praised segregationist candidate Strom Thurmond's 1948 presidential campaign have been inadequate.

"If Senator Lott can provide a satisfactory explanation for his statement, this entire episode should be forgotten," Bennett said in a statement released Thursday. "If he cannot, he needs to step down as the Senate majority leader."

The president's strong statement suggests that Lott has failed to quell the controversy over his comments, which some conservatives complain have opened the GOP to charges of racial bigotry. On Thursday, the Congressional Black Caucus -- comprised of black Democratic lawmakers -- released a statement calling for a "formal censure of Sen. Lott's racist remarks."

Two Democratic senators -- John Kerry of Massachusetts and Russ Feingold of Wisconsin -- have called on Lott to resign his leadership post, but there has been no such call from any GOP senator. Several, in fact, have risen to Lott's defense, saying his apology should put the matter to rest.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 05, 2006 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Maureen in Italy ]</font>

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456