Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: This woman could become Speaker of the House?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by senorina:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm confused. The article said the Iraqis want the US out. Or that's what I read.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">not too hard to figure out - but just in case you are serious,

saying they want us out implies that they don't want us there now. wanting us out in 6 to 12 months means they want the situation to be safe enough for us to leave by then.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ November 06, 2006 10:06 PM: Message edited by: senorina ]</font></font>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was confused. What I thought you said and what I thought the article said were different.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spacedfortime, I don't think you're confused.

The poll cited says:
    "Given four options, 37 percent take the position that they would like U.S.-led forces withdrawn 'within six months,' while another 34 percent opt for 'gradually withdraw(ing) U.S.-led forces according to a one-year timeline.'

It further says:
    The poll's summary also suggests that most Iraqis think the American presence is doing more harm than good.

"An overwhelming majority believes that the U.S. military presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it is preventing and there is growing confidence in the Iraqi army," the summary said. "If the U.S. made a commitment to withdraw, a majority believes that this would strengthen the Iraqi government.

"Support for attacks on U.S.-led forces has grown to a majority position -- now 6 in 10. Support appears to be related to a widespread perception, held by all ethnic groups, that the U.S. government plans to have permanent military bases in Iraq."

None of these statements sound like they are happy US forces are there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345