Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As you are aware I am fully in support of developing a foreign policy with regards to mutual defense. As far as the Indian Ocean is concerned, the region appears to be calm currently and to be headed by a nation that may be open to diplomatic overtures. However the lack of support for that delegate causes concern within the Ministry of Defense because if we enter into an alliance the odds currently stand that strategically we would be offering them more than they can currently offer us (meaning that theres a greater chance that they would be invaded and call upon our still limited resources for aid). Strategically I dont see a benefit in an alliance with the Indian Ocean at this time, though I see no need for hostility either.

The Assembly of Ostracionis
    Ministry of Defense
    Aegean Sea

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 22, 2006 12:54 AM: Message edited by: The Assembly of Ostracionis ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with what you are saying, and would like to add several things. First off, the Indian contains a very strange mixture of nations. There are undoubtedly a few who are still Wik loyalists, a few left from the days of anarchy after Wik got nuked, a few that don't care about anything, and a few that I know nothing about. I would say that until we have a better idea of who is in that region, we should stay away from them. I would like, though, this policy to be officially stated in some manner so we make it clear that we don't want to be involved in what's going on in that region.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about something basic but not binding. I am afraid that I am too much of a fan of star trek and some of its concepts, but how about a treaty of non-aggression. Basically we owe them nothing and they owe us nothing but we both recognize that we arent at odds with each other as well. Basically it says that while we arent good friends now... we're not opposed to the idea in the future...

Ministry of Defense
    Aegean Sea

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That sounds like a fine idea for a number of reasons. It would not commit us to anything, but also it would solidify what has been a sticky situation and give us some assurances from that quarter. I will begin negotiations with Wincapowley to see what she thinks of the idea. Normally, the foreign minister would do this, but I know her well and Prevalia seems to be inactive. If we can agree, we can put a deal through. Of course, we would have to pass it in the senate.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm afraid the senate might be mildly apathetic at this time, but I agree with your points.

Assembly of Ostracionis
    Ministry of Defense
    Aegean Sea

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, well, there isn't alot of business before the senate right now. If you or anyone else has ideas for bills, please let me know and I will introduce them. If nothing else, I have some things that should be ready for voting starting at the beginning of next week.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Currently I have to say that the ministry of defense is relatively helpless. We are reliant on the ministry of foreign affairs for our work. A greater reign in alliances of strategic or itelligence gathering importance (with proper checks and balances) would be appreciated.

Ministry of Defense
    Aegean Sea

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Understood. I will see what I can do. Do you have any specific requests?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nothing specific at this time. As much as I hate to say it. Even though it is my department, I have to say that at this time the ministry of defense shouldnt be a high priority. Right now the high priorities should include ministry of internal affairs and ministry of foreign affairs. The ministry of defense is more or less the next step after ministry of foreign affairs. Right now our job is to support the government, and that is what we do.

Ministry of Defense
    Aegean Sea

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The problem with the Ministry of Defense is that it has always been ambiguous. The Constitution gives only loose guidelines as to its personnel and operations. It has also been asumed that the Minister of Defense would establish proceedure as needed, but nobody has been that ambitious.