For my first official high school game of the 2007-08 season I decided to take advantage of the great road conditions for mid-December and check out the Holt @ Okemos game.

This rivalry is one of Michigan's best, and this year the CDBA was featured on both sides.
For this trip I had a co-pilot, '07 u-15 player JOHN SRODULSKI of Mattawan. John had a rare Friday without a game and went along to see what rivalry games are all about in the Capital area.
This game has been a sell-out for the past three seasons, and fearing this, I explored all available CDBA options at both schools to secure tickets for John and I. Mr. Goldynia, left passes at the door for John and I. Once again, thank you very much!

It dosent matter if you're Black or White...
-Michael Jackson

As we entered the gym we met up with Coach Kevin White. Kevin, now representing Glen Oaks Community College, was at the game recruiting. John & I decided that he could hang with us.
As we walked into the gym to find seats, we walked past the student sections of both schools. The student cheering sections were side by side. We passed the home/Okemos section first. There were well over 200 White T-shirt clad Chieftains! More than a few even had their faces painted White.
With only an aisle separating the two we then strolled pass about the same number of Black T-shirt wearing Holt Ram supporters.
With 15 minutes showing on the clock before the starters would be announced, the two students sections were already in 4th quarter form. But, then again, this could be normal for Holt & Okemos. I'm from an area where students don't get into the games as much or they aren't allowed to.
We decided that the opposite side, ie; parents, was our best option. We were cheering on individuals not a team, and therefore our colors were Gray, Royal & White. At least John and I had those colors. Kev now sports Green & Gold.
I must admit that when we reached our seats up top;3rd row from the top behind Holt's bench, it was a beautiful sight, looking across the court to see and hear both student sections attempting to out cheer the other. The atmosphere was great over there, but the quietness of the parent section was a very nice alternative.

Let's get it started...
-Black Eyed Peas, or MC Hammer for us older folks

The energy of the students sections was the only flow at the start of the game. Both teams took a while to get into a rhythm and the first basket wasn't scored until nearly 2 minutes had elapsed. Since I'm giving a first hand account of the game, then I have to tell what took place..... Both teams started out the game by playing some of the best in-your-face man-to-man defense that'd seen at the high school level in some time! Credit to both teams!
As JOE wrote in his diary earlier during the week, he was guarding TRAVIS BADER, and boy was he guarding him!
Both teams traded misses on three straight possesions until Okemos' hard working Ryan Erickson scored on a putback to open the scoring. On Holt's next trip Delunto Jackson got into the lane a kicked out a nice pass to RASHAWN MOLDEN for a deep three. Game on at this point? Not so fast... Remember, there was great defense being played in this game. John said to me, they're both getting after it on D.
BADER, slipped through a baseline screen to actually get an open look. He got a shot off as POWERS was held at bay. The ball rimmed out. POWERS posted up Erickson for a score for a score a short time later.
KAI GOLDYNIA entered the game and was on the floor with BADER. KAI immediately stepped into the gap and drained his first attempt, a three no doubt, from about 23 feet out in front of the Black shirts, ie; Holt students! The quarter didnt get much more exciting as defense prevailed. Okemos dominated the boards, holding a 10-3 advantage for the quarter. Holt hustled up 3 steals to offset the disparity on the glass. Both teams turned it over 3 times.
With 2 seconds remaining in the 1st, TRAVIS BADER was alone without POWERS riding him, and knocked down a deep three as the horn sounded. Out of the massive crowd of White shirts was a sign on White paper with Black writing. It said WITNESS #12...... TRAVIS BADER wears the #12.
End of 1st; Okemos 15, Holt 7.

The second quarter was a turnover filled 8 minutes. For the period, Holt turned it over 8 times to 6 for Okemos. Holt outrebounded Okemos 11-4 in the period. With all of the tough man to man being played, it was a tribute to anyone who is a fan of tough defense that there weren't a lot of fouls being called. KAI GOLDYNIA, who reminds me of Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton with his constant movement on offense, was able to shake Cody Nash-Kniffen several times during the 2nd period. KAI had 4 shot attempts but only connected on 1, a three during the period. Holt was able to close the gap a little, outscoring Okemos 12-9 for the period, but still trailed 24-19 at the half.

HALF-TIME STATS: TEAM
Holt:
FG- 7/20, 3-7 three's
FT- 2-6
RB- 14
AST- 4
STL- 6
TO- 11
Okemos:
FG- 8/17, 3/6 three's
FT- 5-6
RB- 14
AST- 3
STL- 2
TO- 9

The Okemos Pom-Pom team performed at the half. Hmmm, how can I say this?????? Let's just say that none of their routines would've been offensive/suggestive even during the school days of <font color="red">Laura Ingalls and Nellie Olson!</font>
BUZZZZZZThe Jim Rome manual buzzer!!!!
Half-time over....

...out here in the fields. I fought for my meals...
-The Who
The 3rd quarter:

The 3rd period still had both teams in man-to-man, but things were a little different, or should I say not as intense as the first half. The intensity was on both squads' desire to get shots off! The focus on the offensive end must've been addressed in the Holt lockerroom. JOE POWERS switched to the point and produced 8 points and 3 assists in the period. Holt went on a 10-0 run that wasn't halted until GOLDYNIA deflected an ill-advised pass by POWERS, that BADER picked off near half court and out ran the very speedy Delunto Jackson to convert the lay up.
Holt, after only scoring 19 points in the first two periods, produced 20 in the 3rd. The Rams were 7/11, 4/5 three's from the field, compared to 4/13, 0/5 three's for the Chieftains. Holt turned a 5 point deficit at the half into a 39-34 lead after three periods.

JOE POWERS, JOE POWERS, JOE!... JOE POWERS, JOE POWERS, JOE!...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">-The Black shirts

The final stanza began with a buzz. The feel in the gym was that something magical was about to happen....
Question; Is one player imposing his will on the entire game considered magical?
This has nothing to do with the Camp Darryl commercials that he writes weekly in his diary, but in the fourth period, JOE POWERS imposed his will on the entire game. In the fourth period: JOE scored 67% of Holt's points, grabbed half of their rebounds-5, had 2 steals, appeared to commit every team foul-4, had their the only assist.... Oh, he only shot 1-3 from the line and did commit 2 turnovers...>smile<
While he was doing all of these things, the Black shirts were doing the above mentioned chant.
BADER & Erickson with help from Mitch Ausmus & Matt Morgan tried to get Okemos back on top but the Chieftains could get no closer than 2 points.
The final score; Holt Rams 51, Okemos Chieftains 47.

PLAYER NOTES:
HOLT RAMS:

JOE POWERS played as hard as he always does. Now clearly the leader after the departures of John Lierman & Paul Crosby over the past two seasons. POWERS is determined to get back to the Breslin on March 13, the semi-finals.
JOE POWERS' stat line
19pts-2 three's; 3/9 FT, 11rb, 3ast, 5stl

RASHAWN MOLDEN: only had 9pts on 3/8, 3/5 three's shooting, but contributed in all other facets. 6rb, 3stl, and handled the ball when needed. A big time scorer who wasn't needed to score tonite, just do some dirty work to help the Rams get the win. The primary focus of the so-called dirty work was to guard Erickson.

DELUNTO JACKSON: I really like this guy! A point guard in the mold of SHAWN EARL & SID BROWN who were former CDBA stars!, ran the offense, played solid defense, and didnt force anything. Scored 11pts and dished 5ast with timely drives when Okemos was cheating toward MOLDEN & POWERS. Had the pass of the night but POWERS didn't convert the easy basket. Only a Sophomore.

COLE DARLING: 6pts, 5rb, 4blk. Another Soph. who played good minutes and was impressive. Not afraid to 'rub elbows' in the paint. CATHCART type, but at 6'6" appears more imposing.

OKEMOS CHIEFTAINS:

TRAVIS BADER: Scored 11 hard earned points. Has to be tired after wearing two uniforms most of the night(his own and POWERS' #44). Showed parts of his game that were virtually unknown by many- that he has speed! BADER spent the month of July knocking down three's(19 in only 4 Las Vegas games!), and through 3 games this season is still shooting well from deep. Played tight defense on MOLDEN most of the night. TRAVIS' ballhandling skills are improved also. Keep shooting!

KAI GOLDYNIA: scored 7pts but I hadn't appreciated his game as I should've until tonite. During the '07 CDBA session I didnt watch games from the perspective that I did tonite. KAI is a tough cover! He has something that you can't teach. He moves very well without the ball-like Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton. His shots were dead on and rimmed out when they didnt fall. Sign of a good stroke! Keep shooting also.

MATT MORGAN: A point forward type. Another Soph. Displayed handles that enabled him to get to the basket from any point on the court. Didn't contribute as much as he'd probably liked to, but I can see that he has game. Scored only 2pts but did a lot of positive things that won't make a boxscore, but will make him a prime candidate for the CDBA!

MITCH AUSMUS: Yet a fourth talented Soph. playing in this game. Mitch scored 5pts and was very active on both ends of the court. Very good low post defender and a tremendous leaper. Will be a third scoring option in the upcoming weeks.

RYAN ERICKSON: I'd never seen this guy play, only reading about him in the LSJ. I'm now a fan. 16pts-8/11 FT, 7rb, 3stl, 2ast, and guarded JOE POWERS with no help.
This guy and BADER have been lighting it up so far this season and I'm telling you to believe the hype. Erickson can go! A Senior who'd make a good MIAA player.

<font color="BLUE">We'd love to see Delunto Jackson and Cole Darling as well as Matt Morgan & Mitch Ausmus at KVCC on March 16. That's an invite guys!</font>

Thanks to JOHN SRODULSKI for talking to me during the drive to and fro, so that I didn't try to sing and risk running him from the CDBA with my serious, albeit bad renditions of songs.
Mr. GOLDYNIA for the VIP passes into the game,

-Darryl

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 17, 2007 02:29 PM: Message edited by: GoatCow#1 ]</font>