Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am always looking for different ways of preparing meals that will make them healthier while still being tasty. I've listed a few of my favorite tips and invite you to share yours. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I find that grilling meat is an excellent way to add flavor without adding fat and calories. Using a rotisserie will give you that outdoor grill taste from inside the kitchen! (I love mine and use it to cook everything from Whole chickens to fish fillets)

Choose lean cuts of meat, fish, and skinless turkey and chicken. Try using ground turkey as a substitute for hamburger.

Adding Sugar-Free Jello to fruit makes a great dessert! (I just have to fight the urge to pile on whipped topping [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Steaming or microwaving veggies doesn't add any fat during preparation; choose lemon juice, herbs, or vinegar over margarine or butter.

*When baking, you can make the following substitutions;
    a) Replace 1 egg with 2 egg whites
    b) Replace half of the oil in dessert recipes with an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce
    c) Use 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to replace 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate in desserts

*Suggestions taken from http://weightloss.about.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read somewhere, I am sorry, I don't remember where, exactly, that when making tuna salad or egg salad to replace the mayo with Fat Free ranch dressing. It's actually not bad.
    But be careful, since some 'fat free' ranches have more calories and sugar than the mayo, so you may not really be making it healthier.

HB Forum Owner Pamela_L_Peterson's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't cook much anymore to be honest. My meals tend to be smaller and more whole foods, so for example, I'll eat avocado, onion and tomato on whole grain toast for a meal or a cup of vegetable soup or salad or an apple or pear with nuts or cheese.

I'll eat small meals like this 5 or 6 times throughout my day filling in with, yes, you guessed it, lots of fresh vegetables to munch on.

I realize eating like this is not for everyone but I find it does make most days much simpler in terms of dealing with food. I prefer to not have to think about it.

I will actually cook for special events and for my kids (they often cook for themselves now, too) but when it's just me, a bowl of cereal works fine.

The entire food/eating thing is a huge pain in the butt, if you ask me.

<font color="#72BA49" size="1">[ January 19, 2007 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Pamela. ]</font>