Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Berlyn, I think I sold you a Chambers book a while back. Glad to here you are saving another great stove AND plan to use it! Now, to the paint. I always used the brand that was on sale! It's the hi-temp paint that says that is is for BBQ Grills. Yes, Krylon makes it. Just wire brush, sand, then wash with household ammonia (the kind that has a little soap in it). Let it dry for a day or so and spray. You will notice an odor the first time or two that you crank up the stove, but that goes away shortly. Hope this helps, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stoveman,
    Yes, that helps and yes I got my service manual from you on E-bay.
    CHAMBER OWNERS--- if you need any literature on Chambers, this is the man to contact!!!! Hubby couldn't have disassembled Big Bertha without it!! I'm still interested in the Chambers catalog you have. We are so ready to have it up and operating in the house and Hubby ready to have his garage back!!
    Thanks again and when the stove top is back well take pics and post them.
    Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

***** 4 NEW PHOTOS ADDED

Hubby is reassembling backsplash and has rewired the lights, which are working!!! He also got the timer connected and hope to take some pics and add them soon. The lights and timer I got off E-bay, as the original ones where to corroded and damaged too use.

[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/259218814eAzvEX"]Big Bertha's Page[/url]

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gas lines lookin' nice! what did you use to clean them?

yours is also looking a little less rusty than mine [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm stripping all the rust and re-painting .. hopefully it'll last another 60 years [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

TMK,
    Hubby used a wire wheel brush attachment on his air compressor and shined them up in no time. He finished painting the black interior panels today and I hope to get several more pics up soon.
    Everything is coming together as we wait for the stove top to be reporcelain.

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stoveman,
    We have a question about the stove skirt. Can we use a non high heat shiny paint on it??? Or is this something that needs to be reporcelian too??? Any suggestions on what to do or not to do????
    Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Folks, You just asked the $100 question. It depends on how big a perfectionist you are. The kick panel was originally porcelained. There are 3 options. (1). Have it reporcelained. (2) Spray paint it black, but...Paint does not stick to glass very well. It will flake and peal off with time. (3). Use the Stoveman trick: Clean it very good. Go the Auto Parts Store and get a bottle of Black "AS Seen on TV" car wax made by Turtle Wax. Wax per bottle directions. You will be amazed at how well it will look! Now that you have the bottle of wax, go ahead and WAX all the Black Porcellain surfaces on/in the stove. I'm talkin' about all.. The Splash Pans, Burners, Grates, inside Oven.. ALL..This is the poor man's restoration, but try it you'll like it! Besides, that $60 reporcelained burner is going to pop off porcelain too, It wouldn't stay on back then, why would it stay on now! Just my opinion. Best Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *******5 NEW PHOTOS ADDED***********

It's finally looking like we've accomplished some work.
    Take a look.........

[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/259218814eAzvEX"]Big Bertha[/url]

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lookin' good.. How did you clean the burner valve mounts?

Did you take apart the whole assembly and wire-wheel it or just sand it in place and paint over it?

Same goes for the side panels.. did you remove them completely? or just sand and paint what you can see?

i'm torn between ripping everything out and cleaning and re-painting every surface, visible or not, or just going with what's visible..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

TMK,

I'm in the same boat as you are in. My perfectionist self keeps telling me to dismantle mine completely apart and go over every inch. But my time constrained logical side just wants to work on the parts that are visible. Which part of Texas are you in? I'm in Houston.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast