Thread: ReChroming, Has anyone had this done???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As you guys know we are restoring our 14-B, Big Bertha. We are nearing the end of our project and now DH would like to rechrome the handles. Has anyone had this done?? Would you recommend who you used??? What was the cost???
    Thanks,
    berlyn

PS, Uncertain stoveman-- my biker and automotive friends said no one in town does rechroming. So, here I am........

taheckler

I had all mine re-done. They look fabulous - I was thrilled with the result. If you are interested in shipping the parts, here's the address and the price paid:

Custom Chrome
    5712 Cherry Avenue
    Long Beach, CA 90905
    (562) 422-4046

The small stove handles were $5 each (not the thumb latches, just the gas knob.)

The Oven and Pantry door handles, and the griddle handle, were all $10 each.

I also did the oven racks, although they were expensive by comparison at $35 each.

These guys also professionally polished both griddles, the one that goes under the burner, and the one that goes on top. They shine like mirrors - I couldn't believe how nice they came out. They weren't cheap, though, at $30 each.

I have a great source for reporcelaining, if you want to do your burners and/or drip pans too. I paid $20 for each burner, $15 for each grate, and $20 for each drip pan. They look brand new. The professional stove restorers use her too, and that is:

Gigi's Hollydale Appliance
    11918 S. Garfield Ave.
    South Gate, CA 90280
    (562) 634-4002

Gigi is the real deal. Her store has been in business since the 1960's, same location. She is very, very familiar with doing Chambers parts. They do all their own work - they aren't just the middle-man. That's why their prices are so good.

Take care, and let us all know what you decide to do. Re-chroming and re-porcelaining makes ALL the diff in the world. But then, I don't have to tell you that - you know how much of a difference you saw in your new top!

Tura.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tura, did you price shop for the re-chroming??? I guess what I'm asking is why Custom Chrome and not Gigi's.
    What was the turn around time for the rechroming?? Hubby took off all the handles, latches and anything chrome and asked for me to have it done, since we reporcelian the top and it looks fabulous, now he thinks the handles should be shiny and new too. I agree too.
    Thanks

taheckler

Hi Berlyn,

Gigi only does porcelain. She's the one who referred me to Custom Chrome. I didn't shop it because I trusted Gigi's recommendation. The chrome place is just about 5 miles or so from her. Technically, they're mostly a biker shop, but do lots of stove chrome too. Turnaround time was one week for the chrome, two for the porcelain. You will love the look of fresh new chrome - very shiny and smooth!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, The prices that Tura mentioned are very reasonable for the rechroming and buffing! I have used many different places and their prices are in line. Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ReChroming, Has anyone had this done???

[url=https://ladwp.pissedconsumer.com/review.html]ladwp[/url]