Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I see that my subject-less thread is still floating out there, so for the fastidious few (6 of you) who apparently viewed the empty thread wondering what the &%$@? (self censored--HA!) I had a Situation develop with pyrex roasting pan and an expensice (for us, DH hans't found a real job yet) which involved my 1)removing the pieces of glass and meat from the oven amid the smoky of my once-promising gravy juices 2)silencing the smoke alarm and then (do not pass go, do not collect $200) marching in to decry this roasting travesty and trawling for IMMEDIATE advice.

Two phone calls, some shall we say preventative surgery to the roast, and a level head (and fuller belly) later and I saw it for the crazy overreaction that it was. Apparently, you can delete your content but then there's the thread, hanging out there like an Irish pennant. (yep. I said it, I'm Irish but you know I guess for obvious reasons I never heard that slur until I went to boot camp. The military is actually not allowed to use that expression anymore.

So anyway, we ate, we drank, not one chewed glass so it's fine and sorry about the empty link. Who clicked on it anyway?? Thought I finally went boom to the great Imperial Showroom in the sky? Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was curious about the deleted post and think it was good that you posted a synopsis of the disaster. What, in your opinion caused the pyrex container (which I have always thought of as pretty tough stuff as long as you don't exceed its limits by doing something like raising the temperature to 600 degrees and dropping significant volumes of ice water into it) to shatter. If disclosing the cause is a source of embarrassment, no need to answer, but if there is something that may help someone else avoid harm please share.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The embarrassment was from the running to hostboard aspect of it, not the disaster in and of itself.

It was a "vintage" roaster, which came to me from my grandmother's house, it was not new. Ha_sfan has the skinny on pyrex, since he recently studied up on it, but I guess it could have had a hairline crack.

I was inspired by the rump roast thread to have a meal in less than a day of CWTGTO, and went our for the roast. I followed the directions from the Idle Hour, preheat to 500, place roast in oven, cook 10 minutes, place lid (in this case, the deep section of the roaster) on, burn 10 more minutes, then 20 with the GTO. About 5 minutes into the lidded portion of the cook time, we heard a noise and smelled smoke. the roasting pan had cracked about 2/5 off the length of the pan, and dropped a nickel-sized piece of glass onto the oven bottom plate. I mean, if something was going to break, I'd have thought it would be the top, since it went from the 60-degree countertop into the steamy 500-degree oven.

I discussed the story over dinner with my mom and aunts, and everyone agreed it had something to do with cooking at 500? in my freak of a stove. Ha thinks maybe there was a hairline crack that was adversely affected by the cooking. I have pretty young eyes and didn't notice so Pyrex is pretty much off my cooking list at this point.

Did i miss a pyrex discussion like the ones on the lisk roaster, aluminum, and graniteware?