Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What were the original selling prices of the various Chambers models ? How did the Chambers compare in cost to other manufacturers ? Were there Chambers dealers or, were they sold through typical appliance retailers ? Thanks !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My salesman's info is at the printer getting reproduced, so I don't know the exact cost at the moment. But, I think that in the late 40's a Chambers B was in the upper $400's.
    When I get my stuff back in a week or so I'll let you know the exact amount.
    Ann

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm the second owner for my range, so I dug out all the paperwork that I received. The price on the tag for a white C90 in 1952 was $439.50. The woman purchased a floor model, so she paid $399.95 plus 3% tax for a total of $411.95. This was from Barker Bros Corp in Long Beach, so I don't know if that was an appliance store or dept. store. She also purchased the Thermobaker, griddle cover, and lg. well pot with two inserts. There is no reciept, but she has a handwritten note with the following prices: $3.95, $1.75, and $6.95. I am guessing that the cover was cheapest, then the baker, then the pot with parts.
    When I purchased the range, her daughter told me that her mom really had to save for the range, and that it was expensive for their family. She put it on time payments (lay-away?), but did it because it was the best. She used it her whole life.

taheckler

Someone on this board, I can't remember if it's Tom or Aaron, or someone else, mentioned in an e-mail months ago that they had even received the diary of the original owner of their stove - it was a really neat story about how happy she was to finally be getting her stove, and the day she got it, etc. If the person who has that diary reads this, do you suppose you could start a new discussion thread and retell the story? I thought it was really neat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got my stuff back today and in the Chambers sales clinic notebook, on the "Flash Bulletin" page, dated July 15, 1948 #8 reads "Does a $375 appliance Pay For Itself when it can save its owner $215.10 per year through savings in Time, Gas, Labor, Shrinkage, Flavor, and Food Value?"
    So, my guess is that a B cost $375 in the late 40's.
    Ann

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the pricing info ! It is always interesting to me what things cost "then". If anyone sees a good model c out there, please, let me know...am chomping on the bone for a good one.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I found a little more pricing info in my salesman's flipchart.
    "Increased Retail Sales. In one sales zone on the eastern coast, for exmple, model 15-B-4 retailed at $257.95 on October 1, 1941. As of November 1, 1947, the current 15-B-4 retails for $369.50. This is an increase of $111.55 or an increase amounting only to 43.2%. Excise tax is included in both prices."
    Ann
    ps I wonder why they say an increase amounting to "only" 42%. Sounds like a big increase to me.

lowracer

1949 Model 61C: $349 according to the original receipt that came with ours. I ran this through an inflation calculator on the web and that translates into around $2700 in today's money. So a new Chambers "way back then" was a major investment. Considering that it has lasted almost 60 years, and could easily go another 60 after a cleaning and tuneup, I'd say that was money well spent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the chambers was a luxury item back then. I have some original literature showing how the chambers appliances were going to be installed into new homes in a housing development in Westchester NY. ( an exclusive area) This was a selling point at the time. Considering that a whole fresh strawberry short cake was $1.50 according to my mother, the chambers was expensive for its time but as lowracer points out a very worthwhile investment. I just love my stove!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did a search to see what other items sold for in 1950.

Cost of a new home: $14,500.00
    Cost of a new car: $1,750.00
    Median Household Income: $3,216.00
    Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
    Cost of a gallon of gas: $0.20
    Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.65
    Cost of a gallon of milk: $0.82

Wow, $400 was a tremendous amount to pay for any kitchen appliance. A new one would cost 10 or 20 times that amount if adjusted for inflation.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast