Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A convention - what a great idea!! You know we'd all just have to load up our stoves and cart them to Las Vegas (or wherever it is) just to show them off.
    Maybe we could do a parts swap at the same time!
    Well, I'm off to pump iron in preparation of loading the beast for the 1st Annual Greatest Stove On Earth Convention.
    annnnt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great stuff, folks! This is some of the most hilarious chat!

Gas off and out, indeed. Welcome to the clan, Eggbeater. Appreciate your travails and hope you continue to contribute. Regarding that mega burner: any idea how many BTU's Chambers rates it at. And what year and model designation?

Chambers Convention: so impractical, so implausable, so BRILLIANT! Imagine the press! Count me in on the organizing committee!

You do all know that Chicago claims title as the Convention Capital of the World, right? I will be happy to host the first one: ain't tottin' my Model B Highback milkglass salt and pepper shelves accross the country, unless I absolutely have to. I could never stand the stress. Actually, the first one would have to be in Shelbyville, Indiana. Any of you folks from there?

Chipperhiker, in my garage I've got 2 C's, (high and low), one copper wall oven with counter top unit, and one BZ Highback. It all started with my B, of course. After restoring it and using it for three years, I became nuts about the dang things.

Got the first C just because I couldn't stand that it was gonna get burried in a house demolition. Found the wall unit/countertop sitting on the curb. (You all wouldn't have just let it sit there, would you?) Got the second C cause I needed parts for the first C which a friend asked me to restore, and I have absolutely no excuse in the world for recently acquiring the BZ. Yes, I intend to restore all of them. My marriage depends on it. Also, it is very satisfying to resurrect these things into the beauties they were intended to be.

Another evening wasted away in Chambersville.

Joe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Until yesterday I had never used my thermowell. Then some friends said they would drop by late afternoon. I already had some beans in the pressure cooker, so thought I'd try Joe's rice recipe. At 4pm I put rice (1C) and water (2C) in my 1/3 pot and lit the thermowell from above with my bbq clicker (don't have any long fireplace matches yet - but they are on the list). At 4:10 I smelled a slight burning smell coming from the stove, but thought it must just be some dust burning off since the thermowell hadn't been lit in who knows how many years. I didn't think much of it so went outside to get my oven door pin from my truck as I had been searching all over town for the missing piece - to no avail. My friends arrived at that moment and we got distracted looking at things outside. As we approached the house at 4:20 there was definite smell of burning. I rushed into the kitchen where my husband had all the windows open, but the thermowell was still on. I turned it off and my friends wanted to look at the rice to see if it was burning or something else in the thermowell was burning. I said "NO! IT'S COOKING WITH THE GAS TURNED OFF!!" We went off for a hike and got back about 5:30. When I opened the lid of the thermowell all seemed well, nothing scorched, nothing burned. Same when I took the lid off the pot - light, fluffy rice and no sign of anything burned. I thought it must be the bottom inch of rice is charred and stuck to the bottom. But NO, light fluffy rice through and through.
    I don't know what was burning, maybe old crud in the gas line? My husband said it smelled like burning oven cleaner, but I didn't use oven cleaner in the thermowell. It was in really pristine condition - no gunk, no chips, no rust - I just barely had to wipe it out.
    I guess I'll light up the thermowell again today and see if whatever it was has burned off. And I'll be searching the fridge and cupboards for things to cook with the gas turned off - what fun!
    Ann

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chipperhiker: I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that the Chambers designers were working on a campers version. I'm still hoping to find the prototype. Source said that it "fits in a backback" and weighs "only 200lbs."

Joe: Re: Thermowell replacement burner...
    I have no clues on BTU output. Factory plate doesn't even acknowledge it. All had the Thermowell... even if they didn't.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

annnt, (& others)
    try this Pot roast recipe:

3-4lb boneless roast,
    veggies-potatoes,carrots & onions
    your seasoning for roast (salt,pepper,garlic, etc..)

Brown your seasoned roast with app. 3tbls of oil, on the cook top in the thermowell 7 qt pot.
    Add 1 cup of water and put in thermowell for 10-15 minutes with gas ON. Add veggies and cook with gas ON for another 10 minutes. Turn gas OFF and go have fun for 2-3 hours. Your roast will be juicy, tender and tasty with little effort.
    It's no easy and no babysitting the oven!!

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Berlyn:

Call me nuts, but I've mortgaged my left kneecap and got my 4 lb. organic rump roast bought. Am so excited to try it out this week!

Joe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, Joe,
    Take the Rump back and swap it for a Chuck Roast. You will be much happier! More fat means more flavor.
    Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Joe,
    [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] Curiosity gets me once more!!
    Being from South Texas with lots of ranches and farms. What the heck is "organic" beef?? How much is it a pound??

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I'd prefer chuck over a rump (I hope the "naughty language" police don't barge in here), 'cause chuck is what my Grandma used. But, the Idle Hour cookbook says you can use either. And my wife has requested lower fat options for meals. So, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

And regarding organic, no hormones, no animal protein feed, no antibiotics, etc. You pay extra for less, I guess ;-)

I spent $5 per lb. for a 2.5 lb roast.

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast